CBR1100XX.org Forum

FI with Yosh cams

urloozn

Hello all! I was on the Blue Ridge Parkway while at the 'Hoot and I met this guy from PA. He had a '98 'bird that was sweet and we talked about mods for a while. He had nothing bad to say about the Yoshimura Stage I cams on his bike. He said that it makes the engine 'wake up' at about 7K like a 600 like it is supposed to.

My question isthis: Has anyone tried these with the FI bikes? If I get them will I need to get a PCII and maybe a set of slip ons (I have stock cans now)? I am also running a stock air filter but a K&N is on the way.

Any advice or input from the 'Go-Fast Gurus' out there would be appreciated.

I hope you all had a great Independence Day! I am stuck offshore. Drink one for me! Kenny

Cams or cans? If you're putting new cams in the engine, then you'll definitely need a PC or equivalent. Any bike will benefit in the power stakes from having aftermarket exhausts fitted - whether it be just the silencers or the whole system.

I thought about cams, but just couldn't justify the price for the amount of performance they are supposed to deliver.

Mith is right about having to adjust your fuel curve with just about any modification, so go with a PC if you go with the cams.

I'll also second the recommendation of a replacement exhaust at the same time, whether it be a pair of slip-ons, or a full single system.

If you do go with the Yoshi cams, let us know what you think of them. Performance vs. price.

He said that it makes the engine 'wake up' at about 7K like a 600 like it is supposed to.

The carbed 'birds "wake up" at about 7k even in stock trim.....mostly due to the flat spot just prior to that. I would like to see a dyno chart to see what exactly the cams do for the hp/torque curves. Of course you would need an aftermarket pipe/slip-ons and to re-jet/PC to utilize their full potential.

Give it a try and let us know how it works. :grin:

D'oh!!

I was hoping I wouldn't have to be the guinnea pig here, but I guess I may have to bite the bullet and go for it.

That same guy also had the PM forged wheels on his bike. They looked killer and were a lot lighter, but he said that they have no cush drive. Consequently he eats clutches about every 6-8K miles and chain and sprockets about every 8-10K!

but he said that they have no cush drive. Consequently he eats clutches about every 6-8K miles and chain and sprockets about every 8-10K!

Randy (BDAZ XX) also has no cush drive, and has not reported any increase in clutch or chain wear that I know of.

Perhaps your friend is just a little hard on the driveline? :???:

You hit that one right on the nose. This guy was an acceleration fiend!