CBR1100XX.org Forum

Electrical Trouble shooting

JoWhee

I haven't been to see the trouble yet but I'll explain what's happening, this is at a friends house, which I am now refering to as "green acres"

Circuits breakers are opening about 7-8 times a day. The landlord said he will send out an electrician, she's been waiting over a week, I was up looking at her place a couple of weeks ago and the electrical work isn't that great, I found many small things wrong, if you like not code.. mostly electrical tie in boxes not closed, breakers missing from the pannel without a proper cap (you konw those little plastic jobies) noting critical, just not good work., and it's probably the same guy going to show up to trouble shoot the problem.

I'm a level 2 electrical apprentice (journeyman?) so I know about being safe etc... I know there are a few licensed electricians here so I'd like to pick your brains.

There is water infintraton when it rains, so I'm going to check the plugs, and boxes for moisture, as well as any junction boxes I findas well as the pannel itself, but it hasn't rained in a few days.

Sometimes when she runs 2 appliances it will blow the breakers, even if they are on different circuits, could this be a load balancing problem?

When she comes home there are circuits blown, when in theory the only thing operating bigger than a clock radio when she's not there is the fridge (less than a year old).

The house is cupped...

Ok so here's what I'm looking for:

humidity, load balancing, short circuits (I may just bring a megger and test everything), I'll be looking for scorch marks on the receptacles.

Anything else?

Not an electrician, but I'll throw in an idea...

Had a friend named Gerry, whos next door neighbor wired his house Backwards.

Because White is negative here and Black in positive (residential), he reversed them thinking that black is always ground or negative (automotive).

If I remember right... it's been a long time.... He said he had something of the same problem, poping breakers easily.

His house was all jacked up.

I think Gerry took his tools away.

That's a no SHIT story.

First thing I would go check is the wirering in the Breaker Box, you never now what the guy did in there.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to recommend against the use of a megger on residential wiring, especially if the house is older. Plus, if there is some sort of defect behind the plaster or drywall or etc. how ya going to find it when it's covered....AND you may weaken the insulation on the wires enough with the megger that you actually CAUSE a problem! Just something to think about.

• 4 weeks later...

OK , I have a decent knowledge of residential wiring , and experience with different brands of switchgear ( Sold the stuff for 5 years ). What brand of panel is it? Is there moisture contamination in the panel? Is the house wired in Aluminum? Is it an old house with no grounding? Are the earth grounds in good condition? Are the cold water grounds in good condition? Most problems ( single circuit at a time ) occur at outlets from what I have seen. Outlets that have been backwired ( quick connect style ) are prone to failure if they have been overloaded at one time or another. I would start off with what I listed first. Not seeing the house or it's problems first hand makes it almost impossible to diagnose.