CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hydraulic shifting

Fonzie

Still trying to get used to hydraulic clutch. I can't get it to upshift other than 2nd & 3rd gears, no matter how hard I pull the shifter. Seems to downshift OK w/o clutch. I'm assuming it's supposed to shift all 6 gears without clutch, right?? One of the service dept's told me I need to be careful 'cause I can really screw up my tranny if I'm not doing it right......something about I need to be in certain rpm range. Why would it be any different than if I was using the clutch? Can't I shift at the same points I normally would?

As in any bike trans, you probably can't shift with any power on the trans gears. You must let off the gas and relieve the stress on the gears for a split second. Works from first through sixth for me.

As in any bike trans, you probably can't shift with any power on the trans gears. You must let off the gas and relieve the stress on the gears for a split second. Works from first through sixth for me.

Goin' ridin' in a little bit with a buddy. I don't think I kept the power on it before, but I try again today & pay closer attention. Let you know what I notice.......

When you want to upshift, preload the shift lever, as in push up on it with your toe- you're not trying to shift, just push up hard enough to take the slack out- don't continue pushing when you meet firm resistance. Once the shift lever is preloaded and wanting to go up, drop off the throttle briefly and it should click right up nice and smooth.

First to second on the XX is a little rough doing this, the rest of the gears should go like butter.

Why is he wanting to do this? Do we know? What's wrong with the clutch?

I thought that was one of the benefits of having a hydraulic clutch.....for racing & stuff......so you don't have to granny shift?? That's what someone told me anyways.

And Mikey.......You can talk to ME.......I'm right here :wink:

This works the same with hydraulic or cable clutches, it's called clutchless shifting if you want to get picky, not "hydraulic shifting".

"....for racing and stuff..."

LOL, yeah, that's it :wink:

"....for racing and stuff..."

LOL, yeah, that's it :wink:

OK........so I'm gathering from everyone's shock & dismay at my asking this question, that's there's no valid reason to do this?? Some people acted like it was a big deal when they saw the bike had a hydraulic clutch.......impressed or something...I dunno?? My old bike was an '82 Yamaha. This is a whole new game for me

If you look at most race bikes, they have cable clutches. Hydraulic clutches lack the "feel" of normal cable clutches. The main reason for using a hydraulic clutch is for the lack of rider adjustment. A cable clutch has to be adjusted to account for wear of the plates. The hydraulic clutch takes up this slack with no need for adjustment.

If you look at most race bikes, they have cable clutches. Hydraulic clutches lack the "feel" of normal cable clutches. The main reason for using a hydraulic clutch is for the lack of rider adjustment. A cable clutch has to be adjusted to account for wear of the plates. The hydraulic clutch takes up this slack with no need for adjustment.

+1

And generally they are easier to pull/hold not as good for racing but much better for general riding or Long distances.