CBR1100XX.org Forum

When to change spark plugs?

feelergaugephil

Hi Guys.

I was wondering when to change the spark plugs on my 97 blackbird?

It has only 4300 miles on it, I'm used to the older bikes that I changed them about every 6-7 weeks........

Also, I'll ask on here about my linked braking system.......

If I put the bird on the center stand and pull the front brake lever the back wheel still spins freely.

I took off the rear caliper and only the center piston is moving out (when back pedal is applied.

The two outer pistons dont move!!!!!!!

Is there anyway that the previous owner disconnected the LBS?????

Thanks in advance. Phil.

Your LBS is fine. Rear pedal only engages center piston in rear (as well as the center pistons up front, but we won't get into the whole system).

Front wheel needs to be moving to engage fork mounted secondary cylinder, so again your results are normal.

Plugs are definitely not a concern at 4300 miles.

I'm going to replace mine this weekend. Assuming they are original, (I had 10,000 miles when I bought it, they have racked up over 50,000 miles. I'm assuming it's going to be a fun job.

Redbird is right on. What you described is normal for the LBS.

marty

Fuck did I battle to change the plugs the "easy way".

Tank off, airbox off, then you have to struggle to get into and remove all the plugs....

Well first try and remove the plu leads and caps... that was fun - Oh and try not to break them.

Honda manual states that you have to remove nearly everything on the bike to change the plugs, I can now understand why.

Even after the tank is off and the air box is gone, you still have very limited space to get at the plugs. And fuck do they go deep into the motor...

We change plugs on every second service - 8000 km per service thus every 16000 km we change em.

+- 10 000 miles.

I now just get the Dyno guys to do this, they don't charge for the plug change if the do a dyno on the bike. I'm happy with this, sure that the bike is running @ it's best after each service.