CBR1100XX.org Forum

Aftermarket front sprocket

JB4XX

Its 6:15 am and I just got home from changing sprockets on a buddy's 97 XX on the way home from work. The rear sprocket was not a challenge. The front sprocket he bought was a sixteen tooth SUNSTAR sprocket. The stock 97 sprocket had a flat side that the bolt and washer tightened up against. The new sprocket was all steel and had a ridge on each side. The washer compressed in when we tightened the bolt down on it. We have it torqued down not but should that washer be compressed inwards? We could not get the bolt torqued down without pulling that washer in the center. We proceeded to put the bike back together but wanted to check on this before he rides it.

The stock sprocket has flat sides that the washer goes flat against.

The aftermarket sproket was not flat sided but had a ridge that ran approx 1/4" out from the gear teeth around. So when we touqued down the new sprocket, the washer was compressed inwards due to that ridge being there vs the flat stock sprocket.

Here you go RiffRaff!!

He took the sprocket off this morning to take these pics. Here is one of the stocker on the left and new 16 tooth steel Sunstar on the right

normal_DSCN0569.jpg

Nexxt is the new sprocket with the washer in the background..notice how bowed the washer is from being torqued down on the new sprocket

normal_DSCN0570.jpg

The bolt and washer set in the new sprocket

normal_DSCN0571.jpg

The two sprockets side by side.

normal_DSCN0572.jpg

Do we just toque it down again and just ride it?? I was using the best torque wrench Nik's money could buy :poke:

Guest rockmeupto125

I've never had this problem you describe. Again, I think it looks too narrow.

FYI, Sunstar is Honda original equipment manufacturor.

I had RiffRaff dig out the packaging and sure enough the front sprocket is 522 :roll:

He called the stealer and ordered a 16t for VFR '03 model all ready.

Hey Tim,

I swapping out my chain/sprockets right now :shock:

Bet u r impressed, right? :wink:

Put new and old rear right up next to each other, old one looked good, but putting new rear on, will clean up old and use another day, it had 21k on it...

Rickrad is stopping over tomorrow morning about 10ish to teach / supervise my riveting of master link...

Damn, that is one dirty bird back there, looks like a 2 bow-wow slushy job to just get 'er cleaned up tonite.

And hey, I didn't know the rear sprocket was silver colored and it looks like the swingarm is made outta aluminum (based on a test clean swipe) :roll:

I wunder if the wife will notice i'm using her toothbrush to clean those tight spots?