CBR1100XX.org Forum

Updating a Bathroom

SLyFoXX

I have been working on a project for some time and have run into a brick wall on how to solve this problem without resorting to buying new bathroom cabinets. I would like to change the look of the cabinets, currently they are standard oak cabinets, you can see how I have started the transformation.

normal_P1010003.JPG

normal_P1010004.JPG

So far I have replaced the mirror, light fixture and paint. Prior to (no pics) was just a large mirror that went across the entire wall and a standard oak bar light with 8 light bulbs.

Here is a closer look of what I have started to do on the cabinets

normal_P1010005.JPG

Here is what I do not like about what I have done so far on the cabinets

normal_P1010001_1.JPG

See how there is a gap, I also do not like the finish after you paint Oak so that is another concern.

Looking for some Idea's

Also will need to replace the counter tops and sinks once I have the cabinets finished

Steve,

typed up a long response to this yesterday, but didn't submit it. I don't know what to suggest.

if it was me, I'd remove the old doors, sand and maybe put a colored stain on the cabinet frame, and buy new doors/draw fronts from Home Depot or something.

I'd go to Home Depot, pick out EXACTLY what kind of doors and draw fronts you want, then either sand, and use a colored stain/paint to match the doors, or find some facia board to put on the front of the cabinet frame.

Pick out your countertop at the same time. If you go laminate top, its CHEAP and they have some kick ass designs in laminate.

I got my kitchen counters in laminate. Its a grey 'suede' texture. Looks cool.

Looking at your mirrors you already installed, I'd find a stone 'replica' counter top.

Have you thought about tiling a few feet up to the cabinet too?

That is a nice small square space and tiling it would be a breeze. You could find some nice marble or porcelain tile.

I like the tan walls, don't like the rose color. I think tan all around would look cool, and really set off those mirrors with the tan/black contrast.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, from a female's point of view.

When I look at your pic.........there is way too much too look at and nothing really stands out (your eye wonders instead of focusing). I think I would leave the cabinets as is and paint them white to match the countertop.

I am sure you have heard the saying........less is more? :D