CBR1100XX.org Forum

Recommended fork oil volume/weight?

BarryG

Already ordered ohlins springs. Can someone tell me What would be the recommended oil volume fill on each fork and what weight oil? I'm 5'10 about 220lb w/gear. I don't want the ride to be too firm but I'll take firm over too soft. Yes I used the search function but didn't find what I was looking for exactly.

Thx,

B

Already ordered ohlins springs. Can someone tell me What would be the recommended oil volume fill on each fork and what weight oil? I'm 5'10 about 220lb w/gear. I don't want the ride to be too firm but I'll take firm over too soft. Yes I used the search function but didn't find what I was looking for exactly.

Thx,

B

I would recommend 5w, only because I have SS-8 (Pro Honda) in there now which is 10w. IMO, it's too stiff on compression.

I have some 5w at home, but haven't taken the time yet.

Terribly unfounded recommendation, I know. Maybe someone else will pipe in with a better basis for his/her recommendation.

J.

Well I'm not doing the work....the mechanic wants a number for how much the forks should be filled after he's done replacing the oil......so should I just forward him this thread or give him something numeric??

Finally got around to looking it up:

Fork oil level: 142 MM measured while compressing the fork tube without springs/spacers installed. Make sure you pump the damper up and down a bunch of times after filling, to work out all the air bubbles.

Method:

Easiest way to get it right is with a Mityvac. Over fill it then use the Mitivac to suck out the extra. Tim (Redbird) showed me how, it's pretty simple. What you do is take a piece of wire, tape it to the tube, and bend the top over. You can adjust the height of the tube by moving the wire up and down in the tape. You then insert the tube /wire in the fork and suck out the excess oil.