CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire Change

Arioch5

So I know SouthWest Moto tires has a price that can't be beat. I've searched the forum here and I think I'm gonna go with the Avon 45/46. Now all I need is to mount them.

After calling around I've been quoted $65/tire to $35/tire. I guess $70 isn't to bad (who the hell pays the $130 at that other place :shock: ).

So if it's gonna cost me $70 just put on tires what equipment would I need to do it myself? Is it complicated? How many tire changes am I looking at before I pay off the equipemnt I would have to buy?

I have only the basic tools nothing specific to the Bird and nothing special for chaning tires right now.

You really don't need any special tools other than a good set of tahr irons. I use rim protectors too, but they're made from a cut up oil bottle. Some guys use shampoo bottles as they're thicker, but since I don't have much hair I don't often have empty shampoo bottles laying about.

But this subject has been coverd ad nauseum here and other sites, a little search will give you all the info you'll ever need.

Ed: actually here's someplace to get you started. Pretty exhaustive.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html

Here's a thread on another board that I'm a moderator on.

http://www.twowheeltouring.net/cgi-bin/iko...ct=ST;f=8;t=803

btw, we're selling raffle tix for a set of tires of your choice. 8)

I got the standard set from...

tireqwik

Can a ten-thumbed knucklefuck like me handle this? If so, I am all over this. Just another knotch on the "I'm never taking my bike to the stealer again" belt.

The hard part of changing the tires is taking the wheels off and back on. I bought the Harbor Freight tire changing Stand. I only use it to hold the wheel, and use tire tools to slip the tires on and off. Forgot, I also use it to break the bead. I bought two sets of Rim savers, Motion Pro, not very good, and found a set the other day that seem much better, made from nylon harder, but smooth. mix up a little soapy water, get a few of the Wooden clamps to sqeeze the tire to keep it in the valley of the rim. And for the balancing part, I made a set of bearing blocks using precision Step Motor bearings. and use the bikes axle. Works like a charm, very sensitive, a small piece of tape will make the tire move. My reason for not letting the dealer touch my bike is I do not want it scratched, and it is normally the least experienced person doing the tire changes, sorry not on my bike. It is my ass on the line if he screws up. And the confidence I have in my dealer is, it took them 6 hours to assemble my bike. All they had to do is put on the mirrors, windscreen, fill with oil, and wash. Which they did not accomplish one of those task correctly! Just remember that little feeler guage in the tool bag is to set the left hand brake housing clearance!!!!

Todd

porterb123,

No the seals do not affect the balance, the axle turns with the wheel, not inside the wheel. I will shoot some pics tomorrow for you. Also if you would like to buy a really good true axle, you can purchase Drill Rod in 3' Lengths that has very minimal run-out. Less than .002 at 3' very straight stuff, and polished. Look at J&L Supply, they sell it in 3' lengths in all sizes Metric and STD. very cheap.

Todd

Thanks for the reply...look forward to the pics. I know the seals do not affect the balance...more that they grip on the axle and not let it spin freely in order for the heavy spot to settle to the bottom, but you answered that question...the axle spins on roller or bearings.

I'll have to see if we have a J&L supply here

Thanks again

Porter

porterb123,

No the seals do not affect the balance, the axle turns with the wheel, not inside the wheel. I will shoot some pics tomorrow for you. Also if you would like to buy a really good true axle, you can purchase Drill Rod in 3' Lengths that has very minimal run-out. Less than .002 at 3' very straight stuff, and polished. Look at J&L Supply, they sell it in 3' lengths in all sizes Metric and STD. very cheap.

Todd