CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front wheel squeaking!

jimmystartup

The past two days I've heard an irregular squeaking coming from the front wheel. It happens in the morning...when everything is cold. It changes frequency with a change in speed and continues with the clutch in...definately coming from the wheel

There is no rubber touching anywhere and dragging or applying the brakes doesn't change it.

Amy I losing a bearing? :( What are my next steps?

Guest rockmeupto125

Raise the front wheel off the ground and spin it. If you hear a squeak, rumble, or grind, or feel a grunch or rough sensation as you are spinning it, get those bearings changed. You can also attempt to check the wheel for play, but that's easier said than done.

Bearings. You can ride on it for a while, but they'll just get louder and louder. Mine got so bad I could hear them over the D&D, so I figured it might be time to go buy some. I then subsequently sprung my ankle (3rd degree, worst kind) while both wheels were off the bike doing the bearing swap. Yay. :lol:

I should have restated that. I actually had both wheels off to get new tires, and also did the front bearings while I was at it. You only do the ones that make noise. The chances of a catastrophic bearing failure (as in completely breaks and spills it's guts) are extremely remote and you will still be able to control the bike even if it does happen. The wheel cannot fall off due to a bearing failure, and if it locks up, the axle will actually spin inside of the bearing, so you can't lock the front tire either.

You might want to see if one of your brake rotors are warped. It's probably the bearing but I have had warped rotors cause a noise as the warped side moves across the pad. The brakes actually felt fine when i was on them but upon further inspection I came across a skunked rotor.

I can confirm the bearing were shot. Upond removal of the wheel and rotors, the dust covers seemed fine. Once I pryed those out, the original bearings were a pile of pusstous monkey snot. One broke into pieces as I removed it and both felt like they were full of sand.

8 years old, 32,000 miles and ridden every day rain or shine must take its toll. It's all cleaned up and ready for another 30K