CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hazard Lights & Fog lights

arcticflipper

Has anybody ever installed a 4way flasher unit to a bird?

Looking for advise with installing Hazard Lights - these seem to do much better with fog, or on strong fog light.

The hazard lights situation is doable I think with the use of a zzr1100D flasher unit, I do't know if there will be space for the unit.

I can use an old zzr1100d hazard switch - smal red one that you puch in to activate, and put this into the right grip. There is a blank space there. I know a lot of people put the scott-oiler etc. buttons there.

The fog light story is a bit more tricky, Need something that is easily accessable, to change globes if need be and also have some degree off tilt - no use having a fog light that shines at the moon...

The available products that I've seen either mounts onto the front fender, on the side or onto the mirrors, Now this just really do look but ugly..

http://www.cbr1100xxforums.org/photos/disp...10878&pos=-1268

I've mounted fog lights (Eagle Eye 20W) under front fender that can be tilted, ez to replace bulb and relatively stealthy looking. I mounted 'em to be more conspicious to traffic which they do help alot, but don't do much to light up road at night.

I also replaced the front side reflectors w LED reflectors to increase side conspicuity.

I can see the reflectors, but not the front lights...

Did you mount them under the nose of the bird?

Do U not have any problems with hitting them on the front fender?

Has anyone ever thought of mounting a 25mm x 25mm round beam light between the 2 airducts / vents?

or

tried something similar above the current light, I'm sure there is enough space at the top, just don't know about the bottom.

The airducts might be in the way...

Can you give me some more info on what was done, and how you did it?

Thanks

I have the 4 way flasher mode....home made.

You'd need a simple flasher ($2-$3 from car parts store). Hook it up to the battery (I also used an in-line fuse). You'll need a double pull- double throw switch, but one pair of the connectors will be unused. You run the " + " wirethrought the fuse and flasher to the center pair of the connectors in the switch. Choose either upper or lower pair to attach wires that will run to the left and right t.signals.....

Here is a link to a similiar set up, except they used a double pull - single throw switch......

http://www.roadstarmagazine.com/gt_4wayflash.shtml

When you hook it up this way, the flashers work with the ignition on or off, which is what I wanted....

Cheers,

That's nice man, works similar then to the ZZR, where when u turn the ignition on, the front or rear indicators then becom your park lights, and lights up untill you use the indicators.

Thanks a lot, will try this.

Where did you mount the flasher unit?

and

what size fuse did u use for this?

Great thanks,

Will definitely try this, doesn't seem to be too much of a problem getting this done.

Now the only question would be with regards to the fog or beam lights.

We do have quite a bit of fog, and doing long trips down to the coastal area, leaves you driving through fog for at least 3 to 4 hours.

Normally this isn't a real problem due to the times we drive, but lately I've picked up that there are more and more people driving at the same times...

Too much traffic on narrow mountain passes is a desaster waiting to happen.

Well being on a bike I'm the leaset protected of the lot.

You'll normally only see a vehicle when it is in a 20 m radius, due to hazard lights. If the don't use hazards, you'll only see the rear lights in +- 10meter radius....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks Joe, of course I'm a little behind on the threads.

For fog lights, I'd suggest you go for the fork mount lowers and go yellow. If the ability to see is what you are after. As for 4 way flashers, what Pete suggests would work just fine. Another option is to put a SPST switch across the positives of a set of signals. Then when you want the 4 ways, flip the switch and turn on your blinker and all 4 will go. This won't help with when the power is off though. But it requires no extra relays or wiring.

If you want the lights to work when you don't have the ignition on (carefull nobody hits the lights and drains your battery) Birdie_XX's format would be as easy as anything else.

If you want strobes or alternating signals, let me know and I can head you in that direction :]

What is the strobes or alternating Signals?

Is there notihing or has nobody ever tried doing a similar setup as on the ducatis with the round head lights underneath each other?

This might be an option, I don't kow, under the current headlight?

the fork mounted fog lights sound good, just not too sure about which sizes would work well here.

Does this not interfere with the arodynamics of the bike, and how often will you have to replace the lamp unit due to debris picked up on the road?

Cracks etc. on the lamps.

Have anyone ever tried mounting 1 small, longish light under the front nose of the bird?

I don't know if it will hit the front fender when the ground gets rough...

To make the brackets shouldn't be too hard, what height would be a good height from the ground to the lamp for the fork mounted units?

There are bike speciffic driving lights. Or you can modify any car lights, from your K-Mart, Wall-Mart or Target.....

The bike speciffic may be more durable.... and for example the Motolights ( http://www.motolight.com/ ) offer life time warranty - IIRC.

The ST1300 is the closest to the XX set-up.....

st1300.jpg

Sport-Touring Accessories (Deal's Gap store) sell Electrical Connection lights, specific for the ST1300, which might work on the XX....

http://www.sporttouringusa.com/www/ST1300.htm

st1300fork3.jpg

The ST set up is close but not the same. CAPPEL put the Motolight on his XX and I know he likes them, but he needed to modify something...

At the HOOT, Motolight people came to look at my bike. They had someone on the phone who had problem mounting the lights on the XX. Our left and right fork legs are different. But they said they could mount it to the fender bolts ...You could call them to ask. They come brushed, black powder coat, polished & chrome...

BTW, both sets are the driving lights, not fog lights....

Cheers,

P.S. He, he..... 2equis beat me to it..... :D

What is the strobes or alternating Signals?

Oh, I was referring to the setup I have on my bike. I have a front and rear strobe, and my signal lights alternate right right, left left right right left left both both (repeat). That's my version of a hazzard light setup.

http://www.cbr1100xxforums.org/photos/disp...10878&pos=-1268

clicky linky, then double clicky on pic, this will blow it up and u can see the fog lights mounted under fender right next to front rotor.

I used aluminum bar cut/grinded/drilled to form a bracket that uses the lower fender bolt to hold it to bike. The mount slips between fender and fork casting, there is enuf fender flex and bolt length to make it happen no problem...

Check out: http://www.safetylights.nl/

Also available in English....

This is a flasher unit with a lot of options. Over 20 different flashing signals, operated by the brake-lights. It works great, easy to install and not expensive. I've sold a lot to my fellow XX-riders, and I use them myself!

I see what you did, which lights did you fit next to the front Discs?

Thanks for all the feedback, will try the ideas and items.

Now just hoping the stuff will get here soon...

http://www.eagleeyelights.com/2005catalog9-16.pdf

1862NB (amber fog), about 1/2 page down...

20W units (MR11) that gives very good conspicuity to oncoming/turning from sideroad cagers, but don't do much lighting up incoming road to see better (no way r they Warchild PIAAs for lighting things up). I bought them for conspicuity, period!!!! According to my Passport 8500 voltmeter, take WAY less drain on alternater vs. 35w/55 halogons i had down there previously.

I read yer concern via fog (gives me da gitters mucho too), i can't vough for them in heavy fog, but they definitely make a difference up here in MN at night, dusk, dawn and daylight for conspicuity (sorry, heavy fog in morning i drive my anemic screaming hog Neon). I've set my XX to put up a 5 star dice pattern w modulatating headligtht in da middle, low or high beam.

The Eagle Eyes mentioned above have very limited distribution, but r high quality units for reasonable $ doing a very good job for conspicuity and stealthy mount. Bulb replacement is $10 including shipping in USA.

Sorry to get a bit long on this, if questions, just ask or PM me. I consider topnotch helmet, modulating headlight and lower fork fog lights on demand the most 3 important safety thingys u can put on a bike in that order...

OK, after reading up a bit and doing a bit of searching I've managed to get a pretty decent product with the spotlights - driving lights, It has a similar look to the $300 jobbies, abviously not as good and strong, but not to far off either.

Size is the same as the piaa units, only diffs are that these only use hologene lamps, and not xenon or hid. Now this I've found is not too bad, it still gives me a nice spread of light accross the front with a bit of a beam effect up to 1.6 km.

I've used the Cool Blue 12v 55w Halogen Lamps for this. The don't draw too much power and also don't seem to get too hot.

Earlier on someone mentioned that there is a netherlands product, on that site I actually found a very neat little component. This is a time relay that works off your pass switch. If you hold the switch in for 1 second, the driving lights will come on, and to switch them off you have to hold the pass switch for another second. This is great, thanks. Now there's no extra switches or anything to fit.

Managed to use a Johnway scooter hazard switch, they are very cheap, small and fitted very nicely into the blank space on the right throttle unit.

Hooked this up to a 4 way relay unit - thus getting the required hazard effect when required. + the added bonus of a very proffesional, OEM look for the switch.

The switch is from a 125cc Johnway scooter. This scooter has abs brakes, and the biggest ass can I have ever seen - all for show. In case anyone wanted to do the same.

Just a quick question:

With the driving lights mounted onto the front forks, do you get a lot of light jumping etc when they are on? Or do we just have really bad roads here in SA.

I've not yet mounted the driving lights, still pondering if I shouldn't maybe rather mount them from the mirrors - less vibration, and according to a couple of sites maybe better - they say it's better to mount the lights at eye level, that gives you better lightin exposure, and also a better throw of light all round.

I'm sure that the lights will also vibrate a lot less than it would if it was mounted onto the front forks....

Your Ideas...