CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork tube removal

SD Marc

Tweety and I took our wheels off to get the AV 45/46's put on. My question is how much more work is involved in getting the fork tubes off in order to send them out to be revalved?

What tools do I need? Is there a good writeup of the job? How hard is it to reinstall the tubes correctly? What is going to jump up and bite me in the ass?

Thanks in advance.

If the front tire is off, you're half done. Just unbolt all the caliper mounts and LBS crap from the sliders (don't leave the calipers hanging by the lines, string 'em up). Then remove that useless little clip at the top of the forks, then the bars, loosen two pinchbolts on each fork and slide them down. Done :)

Installation is pretty straightforward as well, but I'm short on time at the moment. Go ahead and jump in, it's an easy job..... :grin:

Thanks Keith, that should do the trick for fork removal.

Carlos, you might want to take a look at the info on that link, it might be a little out of date as far as current thinking for improving the front suspension.

Heeey! You're in San Diego?! Where were you when I rode out there for the weekend last month?! I had nobody to show me the cool roads to ride!