CBR1100XX.org Forum

Speedo Correction Unit

Big Jeff

I set mine for 7%. I wish I had gps to check it. What do you have yours at ?

Go find a radar trailer somewhere. That is what I did. The plug is under the tank more to the right center on top of the tranny. I believe it is under the black boot.

With one tooth down in front, I had a 15% error.

Go find a radar trailer somewhere.

Are those things accurate enough? I dunno, most of the time when I pass by them, they don't read what my speedo or my GPS say.

Go find a radar trailer somewhere.

Are those things accurate enough? I dunno, most of the time when I pass by them, they don't read what my speedo or my GPS say.

I can't say for sure, however every one I have always gone by seems to be consistent. I know sometimes they get confused if more than 1 vehicle is going by at once (two lanes of traffic).

Oh, that reminds me. Last week, I was driving to work in my truck. I was going down a 35mph road with a cop following me. Knowing he's back there, I had the cruise control set at 37. Using my GPS, I found that my speedo is pretty accurate at that speed. I get to work and park, and he pulls up behind me. We both get out of our vehicles and approach each other. He tells me that he was pacing me at 40. I tell him I wasn't speeding because I saw him behind me and checked my speed and I was only doing 35. Then he tells me that I'm still speeding because the speedlimit was only 25. Now, with a confused look, I ask him if he's kidding. He says no and that his speedo is calibrated everyday, and that he did in fact pace me at 40, and that he had a witness with him (his partner) that saw him pacing me at 40. I then tell him that first of all, the speedlimit is marked on both sides of the road for 35mph, and that there's something seriously wrong because I was only going 35 and that he better check his calibration again. Now I'm starting to get pissed off at the fact that he claims that was a 25mph road and that his partner was going to back him up on citing me for 40 in a 25. I'm about to start arguing, when he says he's not going to write me a ticket but I better slow down. I said fine and turned around and walked into my office.

I don't know what it is about these cops, but this is the fourth incident I had with them in the past two weeks. Last night, they wanted to search my vehicle! My bike! WTF?!

My guess is he didn't write you because you raised a doubt in his mind as to what the speed limit was on that particular stretch of road.

Sadly enough cops don't know the speed limits posted on most roads. They don't usually obey them while on-duty, (responding to calls), or while off-duty, as they "think" they are above the law.

Sounds to me like your polite, respectful, and convincing argument paid off. Good job.

I know what was going through the officer's brain because I've made the same mistake he did, ONCE!! You can bet he won't make the same mistake again. If two on board, quite likely a training, FTO car.