CBR1100XX.org Forum

low fuel light not working

KA

This thread opens the discussion for my question now... :lol:

How low does the needle get before the low fuel light goes on? I think mine is broken, but I've never had the guts to test it. My needle is usually below the E line and the light still has not come on. I'm assuming it broken, but perhaps the bike goes another 50 miles once its on E?

Hey Techno and KA,

I thought my fuel light was broken when I got my 99 Bird but it works. That needle gets below the line quite a ways before the light starts to flicker. When it glows at a steady speed, I've got 30-40 miles left. I usually reset my trip meter so I don't run out. Of course I won't get into why I reset now. :oops:

Hey Techno and KA,

I thought my fuel light was broken when I got my 99 Bird but it works.  That needle gets below the line quite a ways before the light starts to flicker.  When it glows at a steady speed, I've got 30-40 miles left.  I usually reset my trip meter so I don't run out.  Of course I won't get into why I reset now.   :oops:

Thanks, I've never let the light come on... I'm too scared. :?

The '99's & up have a 6.3 gallon tank, I think the most I have ever put in it is 6.1 gal

You were real close to taking a walk. I ran mine out once, it took 6.1 when I filled it up.

Mine still has 1.5-1.75 gallons left when the gauge starts blinking ('01)

On average, when the low fuel light comes on with mine, I'll put right at 5 gallons in her. A tank might hold a certain amount of fuel, but like Tim said, you'll be walking if you try to suck the tank dry. The fuel pump pickup has to have some clearance from the bottom of the tank so as not to pick up trash and allow a smooth unrestricted flow of fuel into it.