CBR1100XX.org Forum

Longer lines for VFR bars..

pace

I know that strictly speaking, longer lines aren't absolutely necessary for the VFR bar swap, however I don't like the idea of kludging the setup by cutting off the locating tabs on the reservoirs, etc. As such, I'm looking to fit some longer lines first, so that the bike will be ready for a subsequent simple bar swap. This should minimize downtime. :)

I contacted Galfer to see what they had available for both the clutch and brake lines, and they passed on my query to cyclebrakes.com. The fella there is ready to help me out, but of course he wants to know how much longer the lines need to be.

So, has anyone replaced the lines for their bar swap, and if so how much longer did you go? I've done a search here but couldn't find this info. I'm guessing I'll want an extra 2", but I don't want to make an expensive mistake by misjudging this.

TIA.

-Pace

Hi Pace,

I used +2" Galfer lines with my VFR bars. They were plenty long enough even with the VFR bars raised about 3/4". I did cut the tabs off the brake and clutch reservoirs though.

Hey Jim,

Did you use a longer clutch line too?

Was the cutting of the tabs still necessary with the 2" longer lines, or was that just something you did to ease installation/adjustment?

Thanks!

-Pace

You still have to cut the tabs to correct the angle for the new bars. The CBR bars are in front of the fork tube, the VFR bars are in line. Cutting the tabs has nothing to do with giving you more length. You don't need longer lines, but if you want to change them, don't go more than 2".

MikeG

Yep, I used a +2" clutch line too. I cut the tabs while I still had the stock lines on the bike. Like Mike said, the stock lines will work with the VFR bars.