CBR1100XX.org Forum

253F

tgo63

Today my coolant temperature got to 253F. We had 100F about 5:20PM and the highway closed down with traffic redirected to service road. Stop and go traffic with more stop then go. I did not want to split - too many cops. With the temp gauge climbing I was thinking about stopping but it looked like there was an opening in the front so I kept going. Suddenly when I stopped again the temperature climbed to 253. I stopped the motor with the second blink of the temp gauge. I stopped for about 5 minutes, and with less traffic I decided to start again. On the restart temperature was 245F but it came down quickly to 210 once I got under way. The highest I saw before was 238F. I run mobil1 motorcycle synthetic oil. Anything I should be worried about?

No, I did not leave fan running. The heat index was 110F but in the spot where I was with no breeze and all the vehicles around it felt like 125F. The bike run ok before and after restart. I replaced about 2 1/2 quarts of coolant about 3 months ago with pre-mixed honda coolant. I did not drained all original coolant.

as i ride mine in the sand hills in over 100 deg heat i have some history with heating the bird...... and getting air through the radiator with the engine off will bring the temp down fast,,,,one min.

but air flow in while riding does'nt do much till about 30 mph. and going into the air flow helps a bunch compaired to with the wind.

also the body work off helps a bunch at low speeds but not going to help youse guys unless you like nakid

I did some reading in overheating topics and someone mentioned the enginge shutting off at 250F. Is it true that engine will shut itself down? My never did, I turned it off at 253F right after first blink of the temperature gauge. I also think Joe is right stating there might be some 'hot spot' in cooling system responsible for sudden temperature spikes. I will keep my eyes on temp gauge.

Where I live with a little planning there is not much heavy traffic so I keep moving most of the time. I wear shoei helmet - I think it would be hotter without it, JR Phoenix, jeans, daytona boots and K2 perforated leather gloves. I do not have major problems with heat.

I think the XX or at least some do have a heating issue. Seen a new gsxr or R6 don't remember but it was not moving and running in nutural for ten minutes I went over and looked at the temp guage and it showed 190f, my XX would have been 240f for sure. He said the hottest that its been was 201f

that while stuck in traffic for a long time. Mine does not puke over or show any signs of being too hot but IMO 240f-250f is way too hot. That is if the guage is correct..who knows.

While I rode to work today eveything seemed to be normal. Sunny morning 79F 7:30am. When I was moving at 80 to 90 mph the temp gauge is between 182 -187, slowing to 55-65mph in top gear temperature quickly rises to 196-200. Pulling into parking lot, after going through little traffic - 2 traffic lights, fan kicked in at what it seemed 212F. I left fan running for a while after shutting down the engine and eveything seems to be normal, no noises, vibration etc. My coolant level is o.k.