CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pilot Road's - to overinflate or not !

birdie_xx

I'm back from the Americade, looked at the rear tire and I'm impressed how well they are holding this time. Unless I'm wrong in my calculations, I have about 5.5 - 6K on this set, and there is no squaring off and no exccessive wear ! Much better than the previous two sets I had.

I know that few people complained about the Roads slipping. I installed the Roads just before the Tennesse meet in April. They didn't skip a bit, not once. For this trip to NY I inflated the tires a bit higher, to 41F/42R PSI.... And I didn't like it ! The bike didn't feel as good and it steped out few times :?

On my way back I made sure the preassure is back to 38F/40R and I liked it much better.

Just thought I'd throw this in here. Maybe the Roads loose their grip when there is a bit more air in them, although I don't know how much difference 2 PSI can make.....

Cheers,

I have found the same thing, Peter.

Although I have backed off to 33f/35r or slightly higher, in attempt to get away from the slipping sensation at the rear. I had 41/41 in them, and was not pleased at all. I don't see how one or two PSI makes that much difference, but there you have it.

J.

On our way to Mega I put 42 front and rear in my Avons thinking that since I was loaded and runnin a lot of straights to get there it would help with wear.

Stretch did the same with his Pilot Roads.

As we started to get to some twisty stuff the bike felt very unstable, even my wife noticed it when we went over tar snakes and such. We were talking at a break and Strecth said his felt similar. So we both dropped air pressure by 2-3lbs and things felt back to normal for both of us.

I never thought I would be one to notice slight changes in air pressure but after that it made a believer out of me. I'll sacrifice some tire wear to have the feel in the tires.