CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oil Light

cbrxxtreme

My oil light came on Saterday, there is oil in it. It was 90 plus degrees, however not the first hot day it's been in. I think this is a false alarm, as I rode the bike home before I saw the light. No noise. I changed sprockets the day before, am going to check the wires to the sidestand switch. Also my front brake light switch was unplugged. Question (there had to one in here) is there any place to install a manual oil pressure gage to verify whether the light is a false alarm or not. And is there anything that could be shorted out giving me a false alarm? Bike is a 1997, with only 17k miles. I've owned it since new, and have changed oil regularly with either Klotz synthetic, or more recently hp Honda oil. Always the recomended 10w40. Thank you for any help on this, sorry for writing a book.

Traver

My oil light came on Saterday, there is oil in it. It was 90 plus degrees, however not the first hot day it's been in. I think this is a false alarm, as I rode the bike home before I saw the light. No noise. I changed sprockets the day before, am going to check the wires to the sidestand switch. Also my front brake light switch was unplugged. Question (there had to one in here) is there any place to install a manual oil pressure gage to verify whether the light is a false alarm or not. And is there anything that could be shorted out giving me a false alarm? Bike is a 1997, with only 17k miles. I've owned it since new, and have changed oil regularly with either Klotz synthetic, or more recently hp Honda oil. Always the recomended 10w40. Thank you for any help on this, sorry for writing a book.

Traver

I'm assuming you've changed the oil filter as well?

its 1/8" npt

For sure? Just got back from Advance auto, they say no dice "it's metric." I got a new switch ordered from powersports pro. If the light is still on with the new switch... Then I will have issues!! But I am 99% sure it is a bad switch. Bike has been 100% trouble free till now, Kawi shop said I needed a brake switch for front at last inspect. Back of my mind was sayin "yer used to dealin with a lesser bike, switch maybe stuck or somethin STUPID, but no switch! Turned out they were 1/2 right...needed to plug in front brake switch!! I cannot believe I am low on pressure, till I get more proof. Wish I could put a gage on it, and feel comfortable I am not fuggen up the threads on the cases! It's like being married to a nun, and worrying she's cheating on you!!

its 1/8" npt

Although I am not positive, I believe that most of Japan uses BSP threads for this.

I have a peak/hold/warn gauge (Greddy) that has a sender which fits in the CBR's port. It also fits in my MR2's, and that is 1/8 BSP.

J.

i put a tee in mine for a guage and the sending unit and went back to just the sending unit. no leaks.

used a thread guage on the sending unit for 1/8 npt and matched and was tapered. screwed in two turns by hand and tightened in a qtr turn.

good enough for me.

but what do i know

j/k

stan

• 2 weeks later...

New oil switch arrived yesterday. Installed, and behold, the light went off. Now I am back in business! Need to get that lil grey sticker on my fork, and all will be good. Thanks for the help that was given. Keep 'em up on 1!!

T.B.