CBR1100XX.org Forum

D220's suck for mileage

Involute

About 4500 miles after putting them on, the rear is on it's last legs. :sad: It's too damn bad. It was a great tire while it lasted. Looks like the AV46 is next as 4500-5000 miles on a rear is unacceptable.

Have I read the posts correct? Is the Avon the best higher mileage tire out there for the average rider?

John (JJP XX) got over 10k out of his Michelin 100x if I recall properly. The new version of that is the Pilot Road (I think....... :roll: )

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks.

I just did a 7k mile trip on a fresh 220 rear. It's kinda "flat" in the middle, but I'm gonna even things up today.  I think it's got a couple thousand left.

It's possible that I'm being too anal about the tread. I'll post a pic later. You guys can tell me if I'm making too big a deal out of this. Going off memory my current flat spot is about 3" wide. Don't get me wrong, I'll take this tire down some more but I doubt it's got another 1000 miles left in it. (unless they are all corners)

I had the Pilot Roads, and yes they replace the 100X Macadems :grin: , Just came back from W.V. on my 45/46 :shock: I have about 2,000 miles on the set. Front tire: absolutly no cupping :grin: and no wear (lets see the dunlops do that :wink: ) rear tire: perfect minamal wear :cool: , projected mileage 6,000 rear 10,000+ front.

the Roads are also a good tire they are smoother than the Avons :) , but do'nt drop into the corners as well. Mileage Avons win. also Avons have a warrrenty on their tires, no other tire manufacture can make that claim :roll:

Harry

You're being too anal.  Just ride it and watch for the wear markers.  

You can't miss them, they are shiny and right in the middle of the tread. And if you don't see them they make a steady tick, tick, tick as the feeler bar tears pieces out of your hugger...... :twisted:

Thanks Joe. I'll go look for them. Since I don't have a hugger I get more miles right? :fingers:

For what it's worth, I'm sorta in the same boat. I've got about 5k on mine, and it's down to the wear indicators. Of course, I've spent WAY too much time on the center of the tire, but it's very dissapointing :sad: I got a nail in my (207?) tire in April, and again in the new 220 2 weeks later. So I hate to think I've burned through a tire in 2 months, but it's already missing tread in the middle.

Next tire? AV45/46 combo. Didn't wanna mix brands for front and rear tires back in April, and didn't really want to replace the front when it didn't need it. Now it does, so the time is right. Just sorta trying to get finances in place, first :oops:

I'm gonna mix. If whatever I get screws up the handling witht he D220 up front I'll deal with it then. I'll either get a Pilot Road or AV46 unless someone turns me on to something better.