CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork Springs Help Needed?

XX4me

What's the concensus on fork springs as to which offers the best performance for the money RaceTech or..........?

I may be switching this week so please post up any links you have.

No performance increase with different brands, but a progressive (rising rate) spring is more practical, IMO.

I have the Racetech 1.0's in mine, but wish I would have gone with 1.05's, instead.

To compensate, I raised my fork oil height.

Because I have extra weight on the front of my bike I need more resistance. She bottoms out too easily and feels mushy in the corners.

I'm going to try and get her weighed today and see how much weight I'm really talking about then add my 200 lbs and go from there.

The manual says stock they're 558 wet. I bet mine is closer to 600.

Which means I'd need the springs for a 240lb rider.

Can the springs be changed out with the forks on the bike?

Looks like it to me.

Looks like it to me.

Yes, but be cautious of:

Oil Level: Left over oil on the old springs messing with the oil level in the forks

Spacer Length: You usually have to cut a spacer and put it in. They give you a formula for how to do that. However.. it's tough to get them exactly right when re-assembling if the forks are in the bike, IMHO.

Fork Oil: IF you pull the forks, it's a good time to consider changing thickness of the oil. Either way, you're supposed to change the oil once in a while (16 k miles??? Don't have my manual with me) so you might be due.

I LOVE my new springs. Best mod for the money, IMHO. And I agree with you, your bike would really benefit, because even though your personal weight isn't that much, it's the added stuff with the turbo.

Looks like it to me.

Yes, but be cautious of:

Oil Level: Left over oil on the old springs messing with the oil level in the forks

The only oil left is a fraction of a tea spoon which still can be drained if you really want to. Also, you need to modify how you measure the air gap on top. I've just posted how I did mine without taking the forks off the bike here.