CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dammit ! Upper cowl sources ?

Newt

Shit ! I just went out and had a great ride on my XX. Got back to the house and was putting it up on the center stand and I still don't know what happened, but over it went on the right side. Happened to land on some plastic furniture, and cracked the shit out of the right side of the upper cowl.

I'm still in disbelief and am trying to figure out how to get a new cowl - fast ! I can't stand looking at this thing like this !

So, any advice on where I can get an upper cowl for an '03 ? If possible, I'd like to get it already painted - if it comes that way. I'm sure the stealership will want a fortune if I end up going that route.

I'm in shock and pissed. At least I had a nice ride.

Crap.

Newt

Do they come pre-painted or am I going to have to deal with finding a body shop that can match the paint ?

Time for a gin and tonic.

Thanks -

Newt

Looks like Ron Ayers is about $400. I sent Louis an email requesting a quote that will be waiting for him first thing Monday.

Thanks for the info -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4553677276&rd=1

If you got a black one and can't find anything wrong with this one (looks to be in really good condition), i'd go for it. Then subsequently sell that headlight. That headlight itself will probably sell for between 200 and 300+, so your likely to get all or most of your money back.

edit - looks like it isn't to an 03', but its black. But if you wanted to, you could probably get it repainted anyways and still save loads of cash 8)

Thanks Flordida - I did a search on ebay a while ago, and didn't see this one. Looks like a good deal - but I don't have a body shop nearby that I want to deal with. Plus, I really want to fix this so that it still looks brand new. I think I'm going to have to suck it up and buy a new one.

upper from www.sevicehonda.com $385. I couldn't beat that anywhere I found.

Mine's on it's way along with a left lower. Damn deer. :evil:

Next one I hit, or almost hit, I'm going to empty my Glock into it. :pistols:

Next one I hit, or almost hit, I'm going to empty my Glock into it. :pistols:

Guarantee you that even if it does nothing else, that will at least be very theraputic. I need to find me a deer and pump it with my Sig LOL.

I wish I had something to shoot as well, but it was my own stupiditiy that caused it to fall over !

Thanks - I'll look at servicehonda.com . Did they have one in stock for you ? How long to get it ? Where are they located ?

Thanks -

I was looking through my 'not automatic' copy - thank-you to whomever, btw - and it shows some special nuts and bolts for the windshield that appear to compress when installed the first time. Are they then captive in the part ? Do I need to order new ones with this new part ? Is there anything else I need to get like that to have everything ? How about the decal on the front - is it included in the new part ?

Thanks -

Newt

Guest rockmeupto125

You're welcome.

The wellnuts compress when tightened but frequently fall out upon inexperienced disassembly, forever lost to humanity or lodged in places a cockroach couldn't access. You might consider getting a couple.

The cowl will come complete with decals, etc.

You might consider researching a discount Honda dealer in British Columbia, eh? You're close enough that a cross-border trip may save you a $100 or so.

Perhaps CDN Interceptor or a few others might comment here...

Good idea on the BC source - didn't they have different color options than US models ? Can they get US spec parts ?

I'll have to look into that -

I wish I had something to shoot as well, but it was my own stupiditiy that caused it to fall over !  

Thanks - I'll look at servicehonda.com . Did they have one in stock for you ? How long to get it ? Where are they located ?

Thanks -

At this point they still say 5 to 7 working days for delivery. this week will tell.

They are located on the internet. :P Actually I think on the east coast, south of me. Don't know exactly. Since I'm still riding, I'm not worried about time, just price.

I had an Upper Cowl replacement from Ron Ayers in 5 days this past Feb. The windshield wellnut and a few of the clips (2 sizes) might be handy things to have and not need. Since you are paying for shipping on the big item.

Also check the cowl stay ( metal frame) that hold the upper cowl. It bends with little effort. About $75.00. I slightly ran into the back of a buddys borrowed Ducatti Multistrada high mount exhaust. Which punched a small hole in my upper cowl and bent the stay. (Must stay focused!).

I'll check around tomorrow on the phone and get something on order. Looks like Servicehonda.com has it for about $365 +shipping. Ron Ayers looks like $385. I can't find anything promising online in BC to try to take advantage of the exchange rate - but a good idea.

TJSXX - I'm looking for the cowl stay/frame that you mentioned in the exploded view. Do you have a page number from the 'not automatic' or some way of referencing it ? I haven't taken my bike apart yet, so I don't have a good idea of what you are talking about. I'm planning on do that after I get the replacement part in hand so I can transfer parts directly from one to the other.

Newt

No idea - just plugged the part number in and that is what it spit out.

Maybe with all the crashing going on, I'm the beneficiary of a volume discount ! :D

Servicehonda just called - they said that Honda shows the '03 upper on back order. They didn't have any good estimate on when they would be able to fill the order.

There wouldn't happen to be anyone out there that stocks these things, is there ? Or is everyone going to be in the same boat ?

Rats.