CBR1100XX.org Forum

HEASITATION AT 5th AND 6th

fasttraxx

I guess i should have put that in the first place......

97' with 13,000 on her; not sure if she's been sitting too long, but I figure with those low miles she probably wasn't rode too much.

Has a factory jet kit, but I don't notice any hesitation in any other gear except 5th and 6th.

I'm no expert but my guess is you don't notice it in the other gears. With the taller gears you'd notice it more.

I'm sure it's just your carbs in need of cleaning if it's stat for more than a few months without fuel stablizer in it best bet is to pull the carbs and clean them up. Put it back together and balance them.

There are some good posts on here on how to do both, just do a search.

• 2 months later...

Did you get rid of your hesitation in 5 and 6th gear if so how?

Do you have the standard air filter in place or are you running a K&N or other after market free flow filter?

I have noticed a similar problem running the K&N filter on my bird engine gets too much air and bogs under load at low revs in top gears. Standard air filter and jets runs no problems and no bog or hesitation.

With free flow air filter Changed jets to 150 and motor has heaps more power and pulls hard up to rev limiter but still has bog under load at lower revs in upper gears. Not as bad as standard jetting but its still there.

Was wondering if holes in slides need to be enlarged.

I have also notice that when tuning motor without any air filter on when you rev it it will bog as if way too much air similar to running K&N filter.

(Note need to hook up auxillary fuel supply to do this usually when syncing carbs.)

Once standard air filter is applied all is fine again. Therefore my thinking is that the standard jetting is tuned for restricted air flow. Thus to run right it needs this restriction in the air supply. More free flow air needs more fuel richer jets and perhaps quicker operating slides by either bigger hole or weaker springs for slides.

Any suggestion and comments welcome.

After cleaning the carbs, which I found to be pretty clean, I ran the bike again. Now I do have a K&N filter, so I'm going to assume that it is probably the same problem you are having. I will switch back to stock and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up on the filter info. That's something I probably wouldn't have thought about.

My 2 cents...

I have a '97 running a K&N Air Filter. The only problem I had with it was when I noticed that the choke started not working very well. I though it was the plugs or something, but it turned out to be the filter needing cleaning. After I cleaned it the choke worked fine and I had alot more noticable power.