CBR1100XX.org Forum

Replacement of Pulser Cover

Dos X

Has anybody had any experience with this. During my recent escapade of sliding the bike down the road on its side I managed to grind up the pulser cover and cap in the center of it. It didnt grind all the way through but enough to where I think that it should be replaced. My plan is to order the cover and gasket along with the cap and new o-ring. Is there anything that I should be aware of when replacing this item. When I remove the current cover what should I expect to see? Is it as simple as removing the old one and putting on the new one. Does anybody know the torque specs for the cover? Is the cap inside the cover also suppose to be torqued? I just want to make sure that when I remove the current one that I dont have a surprise on my hands that requires dealer assistance.

Thanks,

Jason

Has anybody had any experience with this. During my recent escapade of sliding the bike down the road on its side I managed to grind up the pulser cover and cap in the center of it. It didnt grind all the way through but enough to where I think that it should be replaced. My plan is to order the cover and gasket along with the cap and new o-ring. Is there anything that I should be aware of when replacing this item. When I remove the current cover what should I expect to see? Is it as simple as removing the old one and putting on the new one. Does anybody know the torque specs for the cover? Is the cap inside the cover also suppose to be torqued? I just want to make sure that when I remove the current one that I dont have a surprise on my hands that requires dealer assistance.

Thanks,

Jason

Expect to see the pulser, and the inside of your engine.

It is as simple as removing the cover, removing the contents (pulser) of the cover, fitting the pulser to the new cover, using Hondabond or other sealant on the pulser-connector-to-pulser-cover and case-half-joint-to-pulser-cover area, and bolting the new cover and gasket on in place

Torque specs are here:

http://www.cbr1100xxforums.org/forum/viewt...opic.php?t=1246

(DL the "not automatic")

Should be a straightforward deal.

J.

Another question on the same dealio...

When I had my get off I also banged up the pulser cover. Mine didn't grind, it just dented at the bottom of the cap that sits over the o-ring. Now when I start the bike up, I develop an oil leak right there at the bottom of the cap. Does this area always have oil in it, or only when the bike is running? Should I drain the oil BEFORE changing this part out, or can I change it while the bike has oil in it?

I have heard that you can change it out with oil present. I have not done that, because my engine was apart whenever I've been inside this cover.

The area is in the oiled region. The cam drive chain is visible with the cover removed, and I believe that it carries a significant amount of oil to the bottom end in that area. It won't be full of oil, but it certainly moves around in there.

Such is the reason for your leak, I'm sure. Probably deformed the gasket sealing surface, or a small crack has developed.

J.

You rock bro. I just have one other question. Any way you can clarify those two areas you mentioned that need HondaBond or sealant on them? I'm not exactly sure where the sealant needs to go on those, and do I need some sealant or anything on the case gasket itself?

You rock bro. I just have one other question. Any way you can clarify those two areas you mentioned that need HondaBond or sealant on them? I'm not exactly sure where the sealant needs to go on those, and do I need some sealant or anything on the case gasket itself?

The case halves come together at the crankshaft centerline. The cases are Hondabonded between them in certain areas.

Around the area where the case halves meet, is where there should be some Hondabond. On the case itself, to help seal between the cover gasket and cases.

The "not automatic" also details this, with a photo.

J.