CBR1100XX.org Forum

Change you own tires

rickrad

Umm, I think I'll just pay the shop $35 a tire to switch them out and balance them on their $3,000 machine so it's right.

A $3,000 machine doesn't mean it'll be right or that your rims won't get scratched...

Just means you be spending $70 per set the rest of your life.

baaaaaah

Both of my new pilot powers balanced out at zero. No weights on either one :D:D The guy at the shop checked it like 5 times because he thought he was doing something wrong.

No wobbles so far. Guess I got lucky this time!

Very interesting and detailed writeup, but I think the few bucks it would cost to get it done somewhere would be worth my time.

Agreed, unless you go thru tires regularly and like doing it yourself. All you have to do is watch Mac do 2 in less than ten minutes then you realize how quick it can be done with some practice.

Btw, thanks Mac, I thought it looked familiar.

God,so many words,so many pictures, :roll: :roll: ,it is probably going successfully scare many guys from even trying ,,,,,,,,,,,,.

Last fall,I left my irons at home :banghead: ,used couple screwdrivers instead,,,,,,,,,,,

I guess if you have a place when they can change tire for 20 bucks with no waiting,,,but still you have to drive to dealership,load wheels in the car,drive back,etc.

Once you learn how to change tires,it is very convenient,you are on your own schedule,no appointments,no bussiness hours to deal with.

On the other hand during trackdays tires can be changed for 10-15 bucks,not worth doing on your own IMHO.

Boy, I'm not down to 10 min. for 2 tires yet, but working on it.

For me it IS the $40, load up the wheels, drive 1 way 30 miles, leave them, come back tomorrow, pick them up, catch flak for NOT buying them from the shop, etc.

IF you can find a shop that will mount them if NOT bought there.

The way I go through tires it's a must.