CBR1100XX.org Forum

Givis and wobble

revlimitbounce

Anybody have experience with Givis and wobble? Just fitted side cases and a top case and someone mentioned to me to watch for wobble. Started pissing rain as I finished the job, so haven't ridden with 'em yet, but can prolly go without the sides or the top if one or the other are the culprit(s). Had the top case on my VFR with no problems, so just wondering....

f3fde85c.jpg

I always have my V46 top bag on, it rarely comes off the bike and i never have any problems. I even ran the dragon and charoholla(sp?) 2 years ago with my E-41 sides on the whole time and didn't have any effects on handling,(ask John01xx).now with all 3 bags on and fully loaded you have to play with the settings on the shock to help the front end but that's it.

D2

I had the "wobble" between 40 and 45 when I got my Corbin bags. I had the stock style front tire (Dunlop 205) mounted at the time. As soon as I changed the tire to a cross tread pattern tire (Avon 45 or Dunlop 208) the wobble just dissapeared. That is the only conclusion I can come up with. Nothing else changed on the bike except the front tire. I can only attribute it to the 205 having a groove in the center causing the wobble.

I only have the big top box, yes I have noticed a wobble but only when I had the stock shock on. Ohlins stopped it completely.

Even with the wobble, it was only minor, decelerating only. I rode the Cabot trail, and other very fast twisties and it was never an issue.

Brian

Guest rockmeupto125

There's a consistancy in putting a top box on that leads to front end wobbles on the XX....but only hands off, steady state or deceleration. Just the touch of a finger cancels it...but I never take both hands off the bars with luggage on. A new front tire may fix it, or reduce it, but never for long.

I can travel for a mile hands off, put my top box on, and have instant wobble on the same stretch of road. Take it off.....back to normal. So many people have complained of this phenomena, but no one has found a fix to it that I know of that isn't sporadic....like a new tire.

I've got 3 45L Givis on the wingrack. Top box lives there. I've not had any dramas tho I never have much weight up top. I would hazard a guess if you over loaded the top case you might have some issues being so high and behind the rear axle.

Guest rockmeupto125

As odd as it sounds, its not weight related. I can cause the same behaviours by putting on an empty box. Most people who have the problem seem to agree on the symptoms if they take the time to research it. And placing a load on the mounting plate itself doesn't induce the wobble.

Glad your's doesn't do it.

Go figger.

I have found the SAME prob with my top box..

Both hands off and she starts wobbling at 40-45..

take off the box and she is back to normal..

I feel it is a wind turbulence issue..

look at the top box and where it is located... A LARGE (E46 in my case) spherical object placed up and back of the center of weight distribution..

As the wind hits it.. it is causing the rear to shimmy back and forth making the bars begin to wobble,

{ round objects don't like to travel nice and straight ... watch a baseball as you throw it...or shoot a bb gun....}

once they start they will want to keep going... Like JOe said.. just a finger on the bars makes them stop...

bottom line keep a hand on the bars and your speed up....

I occasionally ride top case and saddle bags mounted and with passenger. It is not the same but still it is perfectly doable. Side wind affects you more than anything else. Top case acts like a vertical stabilizer on an aircraft. Filtering is almost the same if you don't mind scratching your bags. If the mirrors fit in between, the rest would. In terms of speed, I know it can go easily over 125 all fitted and with the passenger (don' task - don't tell).

I use the Givi's since 1999. I did have the same wobble (very little, but noticeable) like you describe. Replacing the windscreen cured the problem, it was all aerodynamics. Full throttle with 3 cases and a tankbag on the German Autobahn is not a problem anymore. No wobbles, even at twice the max. speed allowed by Givi....

Overloading the top box can be a problem though....

My wife and I were out riding when she saw a beautifull concrete sheep statue for sale. It just fitted the 45L top box, so we bought it.

When I started riding the bike I noticed it was way to heavy. Lots of wheely fun (for me, not for my wife...), and some big wobbles when landing..... Wouldn't do that again....

I don't know how much I was overweight, but if I have to guess it could be 400%....... Unbelievable what abuse these Givi's and the BB are willing to except!

I have to 36 Liter Givi side cases and noticed that I had a no hand woble expecially under deceleration. I dropped the forks through the triple tree about 10 MM, Still had a little woble. Then I did the washer shim on the rear end, I believe it's 6mm and that seemed to eliminate it.

Chris