CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dimmer switch

egadrotu

OK.

I have a dimmer switch in the kitchenette. It is one of those knob controllers that you push on and off. The problem is that it only turns on and off and the dimmer is useless. Well, I went and bought a new dimmer. When I pulled off the wall plate I found something weird. Instead of the expected wires into the box and wires out of the box, I found three sets. Each set is its own insulated wire with a black and white and a bare copper. All of the whites are tied together, the coppers are twisted together and hanging out in the back and the three blacks are going two into on side of the dimmer and one out.

The old dimmer has two black wires. The new one has two black wires and one green ground wire to the frame of the dimmer.

the previous owner of the house was a DIYer who, on some other projects I have repaired, cut a corner now and then. I don't know enough about wiring to know if this is another one.

Any help? I can supply a pic if needed.

That sounds bad. I'd be checking the wires will a multimeter.

You shouldn't have both power wires going to the switch if I'm not mistaken you should only have one hotline that goes to one side of the switch, the other side should go to the light.

You might be able to figure out what ones are power and tie them together. You'll need to figure out the hotline for the light and put the switch inline with it.

Looks like in your description of the wiring, the box is a junction for another outlet. Sometimes electricians will run wires from one box to another to save time and wire runs. Your dimmer is designed to work off of one leg of power (2 blacks coming out of the box) and the whites tied together to complete the circuit from the power coming into the box and going out to the light and another plug/switch. Same with the blacks, two tied together (power into the box and power going out to another switch/plug) with one black going out to the light on the other side of the switch.

I'm not an electrician, but know a few and am fixing to start building houses on my own. You can PM Vern (X Rated) on this as he is an ex-electrician and knows his shit.

You can PM Vern (X Rated) on this as he is an ex-electrician and knows his shit.

Yea !! After all Vern invented the 1/4" piece of elecrical tape placement on the bottom of the 1157 bulb contact for the Bird front clear signals fitment !!!

He is a genius :D

Everyone had been cutting wires prior :shock:

Vern has a very tight relationship with those electrons.