CBR1100XX.org Forum

How sloppy are your discs getting?

Mechanic

My Blackbird is at 28,000 kilometers now and one of the front discs is quite rattly.

By this I mean that the rivet buttons used to secure the actual brake disc to the carrier have freed up quite a bit and there is about 1mm rotational play, but little side play (the other is starting to free up but the spring washers on the button rivets are still quite tight).

I remember when floating discs first came out on race bikes, they were very loose, but I'm curious to know how many other mid to high mileage riders have noticed whether their brakes are freeing up like this?

AFAIK the BB has SEMI floating discs and in my experince don't move at all...

They are supposed to move in and out along the line of the axle to match the wear of the pads. Id be concerend if they are moving along the line of the disc... ie rotating on the button.. IMHO YMMV....

Play in the buttons isn't normal, so replace the disc if it's bothering you.

Ken (Hookman49) has had a rattling disc for some time now, and hasn't had a problem. His has a lot more than 1mm play, though :lol:

Play in the buttons isn't normal, so replace the disc if it's bothering you.

Ken (Hookman49) has had a rattling disc for some time now, and hasn't had a problem. His has a lot more than 1mm play, though :lol:

Mine still rattle. Have over 52,000 on the clock with no problem.

Ken