CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pilot Road mileage Q...

bartonmd

Pilot Road mileage Q...

I am a bit concerned as to how long my current rear PR will last... I currently have 5k on it, mostly commuting and it has about twice the height of the wear bar left on top of the wear bar in the center... Meaning: The total tread height, in a place other than the wear bar, is 3 times the height of the wear bar...

I am only asking because I have exactly a month before SeXXt, and it's 375 miles slab down there, and the same back... plus whatever riding we do down there... I figure about a 1250 mile weekend, and I'll probably ride 1500 miles between now and then, so I need it to last another 3k. It looks as if it will last that long at least, but at the same time, I've heard that tires in general wear reall fast as they get down to the wear bars... Any ideas how long they will last from now?

I'll probably order another rear at least between then and now anyway, but am just curious as to people's findings...

Thanks,

Mike

I only got 4800 miles out of my last Pilot Road rear; I was hoping for more, but that's it.

You need to take into account that the riding at SEXXT is quite rough on tires. Rougher than slabbing it. You might be fine, but don't be surprized if it's completely shot when you get home.

Demon,

I was assuming that it'd be tough on the sides, but the middle is the only part where it's getting lower... I guess I'll order a tire and see what kind of shape my current one is in in 3 weeks...

Thinking of trying out the Powers, but as of yet, not real sure...

Mike

I get right at 5000 miles out of a rear PR, and it is into the wear bars. I never run tires past that point, as the handling has already gone away before then.

I have found as the tires wear down, the bike will push more in corners requiring me to countersteer more. I also weigh about 250# ready to ride and I always run my pressures @ 42/42.

I get *about* 7000 out of a front tire, into the wear bars. The Michelins are excellent tires and grip really well in the rain as well as the superior performance while dry.

I emailed Michelin and told them what a great product they have. In response to my positive comments, I got a free Michelin cap!

When you're up in the twisties having a good time, you're gonna wear down the sides while heeled over. When you're accelerating out of the corners, and there's plenty of them, you'll wear the mid-side to center.

I'd replace it. The last thing you want to be doing on the Blue Ridge Parkway is looking for a bike shop with a replacement tire in stock. don't ask me how I know this :roll: Peace of mind is worth the $30+ dollars of tread. You can always hang onto the old tire for emergencies.

I just measured... there's right at 1/8" tread deapth in the center (not on a wear indicator)... That's measured with a metal straight-edge, not a tire depth guage though... I can't find anywhere what the depth on a new rear center is though, so I don't know how much I've used...

Mike

Once you're down to the last 1/8" it will wear faster than the first 1/8". Why it does this, I don't know but it sure does go fast at the last.

I'd stick a new one on there just to be safe.

Mike

I replaced my Pilot Road rear two weeks before MiXXt with 9500 miles on it and the front tire last week with 12000 miles on it.

I may be in the same boat as you around SeXXt as my six week old rear tire has 4800 miles on it now and will have another 1000 or more before middle of June.

Not sure what you pay for yours, but my tire guy down here will mount a new one for @$185-190 8)

I'd replace it. The last thing you want to be doing on the Blue Ridge Parkway is looking for a bike shop with a replacement tire in stock. don't ask me how I know this :roll: Peace of mind is worth the $30+ dollars of tread. You can always hang onto the old tire for emergencies.

x10000000000000000000000000

I just measured with calipers what I have left... 2.75mm in the center, and off center, where I haven't worn much, the thickest I found was 5.5mm deep... meaning that, in the center, I've only gone through about half the tread... That 2.75mm was all the way to the bottom of the groove though... to the top of the wear bar, I have 2.2mm...

I'll see what I see when it gets closer to time and how much wear I've gotten/1000 miles, but just to be safe, I ordered a set of PR's today so I have them on hand... won't be more than a couple months until I'll need them anyway...

Mike

Mike

I replaced my Pilot Road rear two weeks before MiXXt with 9500 miles on it and the front tire last week with 12000 miles on it.

I may be in the same boat as you around SeXXt as my six week old rear tire has 4800 miles on it now and will have another 1000 or more before middle of June.

Not sure what you pay for yours, but my tire guy down here will mount a new one for @$185-190 8)

I got a new pilot road mounted saturday for only $157 (cost of tire, labor, tax, and state tire fee).

Unfortunately they scraped off some of the stock black paint on my rim! :evil:

Unfortunately they scraped off some of the stock black paint on my rim!

Looks like a good time to polish your rim lips to me.

You can do it at home, but ask someone here how to do it first, not the dude in the paint section of Wal Mart. If he says anything about a hand held grinder, walk away. :roll: