CBR1100XX.org Forum

Switching header pipes (help!)

FloridaSilverBird

Im trying to get the header off my 98 so I can put on a custom header that Jeff made. Im excited as hell to get it on and see what it looks/sounds like. The header screws off fine from the engine outlets, but that one bolt under the belly just will not come out! I've tried screwing off the nut on the left side of the bike and tried to screw off the bolt from the right side. Neither seems to work. I think all the heating and cooling down made it ridiculously tight. Anyone have any ideas on how to get it off?

Thanks.

Not to be a dick, but did you try holding one side and "screwing" from the other? As long as you've only got a tool on one side, it's never coming out.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but someone had to say it- if only to rule it out

Not to be a dick, but did you try holding one side and "screwing" from the other? As long as you've only got a tool on one side, it's never coming out.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but someone had to say it- if only to rule it out

your right, but it doesn't even move. its not like im just spinning it around and it isn't coming off. well i can spin the actual bolt from the right side but of course it isn't going anywhere. the nut isn't coming off though. Maybe I should have some force on each side though.

i hate to say it but soak it in wd 40 overnight and work it back and forth tighter and looser with a wrench on both sides till you get the lube in the threads,,,, paint with antiseaze when you put back together.

i hate to say it but soak it in wd 40 overnight and work it back and forth tighter and looser with a wrench on both sides till you get the lube in the threads,,,, paint with antiseaze when you put back together.

hm.. wouldn't that essentially 'clean it'? What is the base color of a 98 header's metal? maybe after i get it out, i should just soak the whole thing in WD 40 to make it look pretty..

thanks.

hm.. wouldn't that essentially 'clean it'? What is the base color of a 98 header's metal? maybe after i get it out' date=' i should just soak the whole thing in WD 40 to make it look pretty..

thanks.[/quote']

Be a DICK...that ought to help :roll:

hm.. wouldn't that essentially 'clean it'? What is the base color of a 98 header's metal? maybe after i get it out' date=' i should just soak the whole thing in WD 40 to make it look pretty..

thanks.[/quote']

Be a DICK...that ought to help :roll:

? no im being serious, i guess it looks like sarcasm though.. sorry! :(

i used WD 40 to clean the swingarm to my previous bike before selling it and it made it look practically new with a little elbow grease. 8) Im just not sure it would be a good thing on the header.. or maybe it just wont do anything?

Definitely soak the bolt/nut in some kind of lube, Liquid Wrench or WD-40.

I often times will heat a non-compliant bolt with a torch! :wink: Assuming it is not aluminum, (Then I will still use the torch, but very carefully.) :lol:

You can also try a propane torch. Heat the nut and then wrench on it while it's still hot. Just watch which direction the flame is going.

if your gonna heat it clean off the wd40 or it will catch fire!!!!!!!!!!

not a good thing in the location under the bike.

we use wd40 on the two stroke exhausts when we leave them bare after each heat cycle and when we clean the bike to prevent rust and also on the dragster frame when we leave the paint off for weight.

Have you tried going to a dealer with (and I don't know the English word for it) a pneumatic rattler they use for wheelnuts and so on? The vibration will loosen the nut more easily....

Have you tried going to a dealer with (and I don't know the English word for it) a pneumatic rattler they use for wheelnuts and so on? The vibration will loosen the nut more easily....

It's called an impact gun Frank