CBR1100XX.org Forum

Does a failed Regulator/ Rectifier look like this?

OZXX1100

Bike would not start when I finished work-got a push and then about ten minutes down the road before everything died.

I noticed little molten balls of silver metal sparayed on the footpeg hanger below the R/R so I took a closer look at it and found this:

RR-FAIL-1.jpg

Here is a close up of the slit in the silicon block housing the electronic bits and pieces and you can see where what looks like solder resin has dribbled out and two little balls of molten metal:

RR-FAIL-2.jpg

I unfortunately have grounds for suspicion what might have happened but before I jump to conclusions, has anyone ever seen something like this before?

yeah... that's refered to, in the electronics community as "letting the magic smoke out." Every electronic part has something that makes it work called "magic smoke," and when that smoke gets let out... no more magic... no more worky...

Mike

Also refered to as "smoke checked"

Yeah, got a little hot.

With Hondas otherwise impeccable quality, the reg/rec is a piece of junk.

If you're curious, rip the rest of that spongy stuff out and see how little is in that big box.

Thanks for the feedback all.

I am checking out alternatives-have heard of the R1 alternative and an upgraded unit from Pete in the UK.

I also think it has also been mentioned on this board that Honda upgraded the replacement unit from '03 onwards ???

I put an eBay R1 rectifier on mine for ~$40. It was a lot cheaper than the Honda unit. Looks like the new Honda one with big fins.

My stock '02 model has the one with the angled sides.

They really must have had a problem with them to update them twice.

Makes me want to inspect mine for any problems. Don't want the electrons to leak out.....

Are you saying your's looks like the one in the earlier photo, kinda shaped like a hexagon? Far as I know the were updated in '99 and again in '01, your's and mine should be the same.

Or are you refering to the angles on the fins, top and bottom? That's there on mine, just hard to see in the photo.