CBR1100XX.org Forum

raising stock bars

scott s.

The GenMar bar risers raise them 19mm so it would see that it woul;d be safe. Mine went through a jillion wheelies and never moved. I'd torque the pinch bolt to spec to be on the safe side. I believe it's 12 lbs. I don't know the Nm value.

I'm thinking about dropping mine back down. With all the hyperextensions and straight leg deadlifts I've been doing at the gym my back is now the very last thing that bothers me while riding.

question- i just bought a 2000 model. i want to raise the bar hight. the heli bars aren't quite enough height. do you have any suggestions?

i have heard of a 'lcl conversion', but i can't find any info on it? i'd appreciate any feedback. thanks

The LCL conversion involves a real "handlebar". You mount some bosses on the tripple clamp and put an old style superbike bend handlebar on it. It requires new brake and clutch lines to work. Really raises the bars and reduced reach. Looks kinda funny though :wink:

• 7 years later...

I purchased a pair of stock VFR bars and am in the process of doing the change over. I also have a service manual, so thought this should be a piece of cake... However, having some trouble removing the "stop rings" so I pull the bar up and off. Any quick tricks for that? I have all the basic hand tools, but discovered I shoudl probrably have invest in a pick set. Any help is appreciated.

PS - I did search the forum and could not find any refernce to this little gem.

The "stop rings" are merely very thin wire rings that sit in a groove and have a split or space in them.

Slide the bar down to expose them, find the split and lift them out.

Very low pressure and no tools are needed to remove them, or at most a very small screw driver.

Thank you so much for your insight. After I posted the question, I went back down to the garage and moved over some better lighting and then was able to see the split in the stop rings (both were rotated around so the split was up against the riser portion of the bar, so were hard to see. Anyway, once I figured that out, yes, a small pocket knife or micro screwdriver was you need to pop the off.

Not sure I will have time tonight, but I will give a full play by play on the bar install in case it can help out any other rookies like me. With a few challenges, I was able to them 95% installed tonight. I will post it under my original handlebar question from a few months ago "VFR vs helibars".