CBR1100XX.org Forum

Weird torque dip ~3500 rpm...

Skull

I know, I know! Nobody should ever rev down that far.

Still, there's lots of little towns with 35mph speed limits around here, and sometimes that seems to be right where the engine wants to be. The only problem is that it feels like there's a weird torque dip right around there.

Is this normal for a FI 'bird ('02)? I'm still in the first ~3000 mile "shakedown" period for this bike since I bought it used last October. I'm still learning what's normal.

Thanks!

Are you running the stock exhaust-system?

Any other modifications? Did you have the airfilter removed for service?

We need more info.....

First gear will fix that :wink:

love going past the cop in his 30mph speed trap zone at 4k+ on the revs :P

Stock exhaust. No modifications to the engine/drivetrain to my knowledge. Also, the dip seems to be more like 3K than 3.5K. The best I can describe it is as a hesitation, as if the throttle position sensor/map/whatever isn't quite right.

Maybe it's nothing. I've been limping along trying not to stress the engine too much until my cam-chain tensioner arrived, which it just did. It's just hard to tell how well this machine was taken care of, since it was owned by some guy in California before it changed hands through the used-bike-dealer network and arrived here.

It may be only be a normal dip in the stock map designed in by Honda to give the best emissions readings at that rpm range, which would work out to around 55 mph in top gear.

Stock exhaust. No modifications to the engine/drivetrain to my knowledge. Also, the dip seems to be more like 3K than 3.5K. The best I can describe it is as a hesitation, as if the throttle position sensor/map/whatever isn't quite right.

Maybe it's nothing. I've been limping along trying not to stress the engine too much until my cam-chain tensioner arrived, which it just did. It's just hard to tell how well this machine was taken care of, since it was owned by some guy in California before it changed hands through the used-bike-dealer network and arrived here.

How bad is the "dip"? Does it fall on it's face, or is it a slight hesitation?

How bad is the "dip"? Does it fall on it's face, or is it a slight hesitation?

It just feels like a rough spot in the EFI map, or something -- almost as if the TPS had a slight contact issue rolling through that area.

Another thing, is it a California spec bike with the catylists in the exhaust and oxygen sensor? That might have something to do with it.

I haven't torn that much apart, but I'll bet it is Cal-spec.