CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chains and Money

Clinton Horn

Recently, I had to replace my factory DID endless chain with an e-bay sourced take off chain (RK XSO) and I was an idiot for thinking that all Blackbird chains were DID. Several mail order master links later, I am back in business. In retrospect, it would have been MUCH easier to buy a new chain. I am now in the market for a back up and the people at White Buffalo were so helpful, I will probably get it there. Nevertheless, if you hate to overpay, the attached looks like sensible advice. I do not know these people but their argument looks good.

www.quality-cycle.com/truth_about_motorcycle_chains.htm

There's a certain amount there that does make sense, but then their credibility begins to slip with shit like this-

One of the biggest “Myths” when it comes to Motorcycle Chains is that a O-Ring chain will last longer than a “non-sealed (not O-ring) Chain! A non-sealed chain with the same Tensile Strength or slightly higher.....will last as long or longer in most cases if lubed about every 2 weeks of riding with a Premium Chain Lube!!! (but not X-Ring Type Chains) The “standard type” O-ring design allows dust, grit, & dirt to get between the inner & outer Side Plates. Sooo, in most cases the lubrication in the chain is gone after around 4,000 miles! Sure you can lube the chain as often as a “non-O-ring” chain & it will last longer, but that defeats the purpose & extra money of buying a O-ring Chain! In most cases, the O.E.M suppliers (RK & D.I.D) don’t even make a O-ring chain in a “Retail Box” anymore except to supply the Motorcycle Manufacturers to package-up as Genuine Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Suzuki parts!!!!!! Look at the picture on the left & you can see that dust, grit, & dirt can collect on the edges of the seal,,,,,which can eventually wear out the seal because of it’s design! Only one small “Sealing Surface”!

Not to mention the "correct" way to lube you chain apparently involves spraying lube all over your rear tire. And the chain being lubed appears to be about one of the worst maintained chains I've ever seen.......