CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID question

Guest rockmeupto125

Guest rockmeupto125

I'm curious...those of you who recently purchased the McCullough HID's....were they fuse protected, and if so, what amperage?

Additionally, if anyone else is using fuse protection on their HID, what amperage are you using?

Thanks!

I'm curious...those of you who recently purchased the McCullough HID's....were they fuse protected, and if so, what amperage?

Additionally, if anyone else is using fuse protection on their HID, what amperage are you using?

Thanks!

Amperage? Damn that must be the new word of the day.

The tranformer for the HID should say how many amps it draws or how many watts. It's easy to find out from this what size fuse.

Just guessing I'd say 10Amp per HID if it's headlights, but you might need a bit higher when they get turned on they do draw a good amount of current for the first second or so.

Guest rockmeupto125

I can do the math.

HID is 35 watt, and if your electrical system is up to snuff, at 12.5 volts, there's a 2.8 amp draw. A rule of thumb is that the HID will pull twice the power for startup...making that 5.6 amps.

But I'm looking for what is working in the field, not on paper.

Remember the fuse is use only to protect the wire, not the unit.

IIRC, 14ga wire needs a 15amp fuse, 12ga needs a 20amp and 16ga would be 10amp.

The ballast to lamp side is all voltage and low current and should be protected by the ballast itself.

Wait, flash back, The supply side of the ballasts connect into the stock headlamp socket so they are protected by the stock headlight curcuit. No inline fuse in the McCullough setup.

Guest rockmeupto125

Now why would 14 need a 15 amp fuse, and 12 need a 20 amp fuse.

Oh...I get it........better 14 gauge wire! :P:P:P

Of course we're protecting the wiring and switch....its not like you're going to overvoltage the unit without a lightning strike. There's no 110 volt hookup on my bike.

Now why would 14 need a 15 amp fuse, and 12 need a 20 amp fuse.

Oh...I get it........better 14 gauge wire! :P:P:P

Of course we're protecting the wiring and switch....its not like you're going to overvoltage the unit without a lightning strike. There's no 110 volt hookup on my bike.

NOw you see......This is why I like to stay out of political discussions :flipoff: