CBR1100XX.org Forum

Love My New Avons

sk6f3

49F/46R. 70 miles on a cool day. 38psiF/40psiR. Scrubbed the rear nearly to the edge. These tires inspire confidence! More stick than my previous Pilot Roads. Very smooth. Hope they last a long time. I got 4300 out of my PR rear. Not bad. I thought it was done at 3300, but it hung in there for another K before I hit the cords.

I'm running the 49 up front also. 46 rear. The 49 doesn't wear real well but, it sticks much better than the 45. IMHO, that makes it worth it.

GOOD GOD! PR toast at 3300 miles?? Admitadly, I don't ride all that hard in a straight line, mostly commute, and weigh 180lbs, but I currently have about 4500 miles on my PR's and the center is just now slightly thinner than the sides... I immagine I'll get around 10k out of the set...

Mike

I got 7100 from oem dunlops 205, then 9000 from bt020, right now I have 3400 on pilots roads and they hardly show any wear. My weight is 170 lbs All numbers in miles

I've got a set of Avons on my bike right now(45, 46). I had to replace the rear this spring I didn't trust it with a plug. Before I burnt it off it had close to half thread left with approx 8,000Km on it. Most of it was highway trip across country. The front still looks to have more than 1/2 thread left.

Unfortunatly I don't have many twisties to play on here so I don't know about wearing the sides off.

I like my Avons too 45/46. The dry grip seems as good as my Michelin PR's, maybe better, I can't tell cuz I only have about 1100 miles on them and only a small portion of that has been good, dry, curvy, grip testing pavement.

But yesterday, I rode about 300 miles in the rain. Suches, Cherahola, Deal's Gap, etc. YMMV but I do not think the Avons are as grippy in the wet as the Michelin PR's were.

You guys are running really high pressures. I thought Avon recommended 36F/38R for maximum life for these tires on the XX?

To add to the circle jerk... I like my Avons a lot too, although I'm getting aggressive enough on the XX that I'm starting to want something a little more stick up front. But I suppose the issue may have more to do with my forks needing work than the tire.

I run 42/42 in my Pilot Roads. Ready to ride, I weigh in around 240 lbs. and I have experimented with tire pressuers and found that while the grip IS better at a little lower pressure, the mileage just goes away to quick.

I did a 450 mile day yesterday riding Hwy 60/68 then to the Cherohala Skyway, Wayah Rd., Hwy 64, back into North Ga., around Lake Burton on Hwy 197 to the slab home. I have about half the tread left on both tires and the bike is starting to push a bit in corners, requiring more counter steering to sling the beast around.

About 7K from the front tire; 5k from the rear into the wear bars.

Same here on pressure. I run 42/42 in my Avon 45/46 combo, weighing in at close to 240. She is a bit more grippy running 38 psi front and 39 rear, but it doesn't feel like its that much of a difference, at least seat of the pants. After about 2500 miles, they are still wearing nicely and don't look overly worn, so I try to keep the pressure up whenever I can.

Mykl wrote:

To add to the circle jerk... I like my Avons a lot too, although I'm getting aggressive enough on the XX that I'm starting to want something a little more stick up front.

I'm in the same boat as you. I love my 45/46's and are the best sport touring tires out right now IMHO. When mine hits the road this fall, she'll be shod with the sticker Avons, preferrably the Vipers but the 49/50 if the Vipers aren't yet available in the states.