CBR1100XX.org Forum

Buried cable in back-yard

N1K

Does anyone know how to locate a buried electrical cable that goes from your house to your garage?

I called diggers hotline before I put my fence in last year. They only mark for telephone, electic, etc.

I don't think they care (or would) mark the line that goes from my house to garage.

Anyone know how to find it? I realized when I went to stake out my deck that it must run under there somewhere...

Find where it leaves the house and where it enters the garage, draw a straight line. Not foolproof, but trenching sucks and they tend to go the shortest route possible.

Or call an electrician, they would have the sensing equipment to mark it for sure.

Depending on the voltage run the the garage they have equipment to find it. Most people run 220V the should be able to fine that.

Not sure if there is anyway you could do it yourself besides the guess as mentioned before. But that power wire isn't cheep people don't normally run it any longer than they have to, or dig more trench.... :wink:

I would use a Bent piece of Coat hanger and a plastic pen tube...

:wink:

I think they call it witching or dowsing...

works great for me. Some people can do it, some can't.

I have even found utilities in the past that the Utility Notification companies could not find. :roll:

I would use a Bent piece of Coat hanger and a plastic pen tube...

:wink:

I think they call it witching or dowsing...

works great for me. Some people can do it, some can't.

I have even found utilities in the past that the Utility Notification companies could not find. :roll:

I think you have to use a branch from a tree for that.

And it only finds water I heard. :P

Well, murphy's law...

I eyeballed straight lines from the points of entry of the electric where it came from the house to where it goes in the garage...

Both were NOT in the way of the posts... Of course they weren't where they logically would have been, and I hit the conduit. Luckily the auger went around it, and didn't break the conduit so I just reversed the auger and dropped my hold a few inches over.