CBR1100XX.org Forum

head work

jc

hi i'm new to the board, just had a few questions

I'm thinking of buying a set of erion racing cams for the bird, and maybe shaving .020 off the head, anyone have any experience with this type of work, I want more power out of the bike without going to far, it already has a 4 into 1 exhaust and a jet kit.

is .020 to much or could i go even further? I still want to run pump gas and it is a daily driver.

any info would be appretiated

I would check with Erion first. They should be able to tell you if there's any room to shave the head with their cams.

Things are running tight in there from the factory already. Combining high lift cams with a shaved head might be trouble.

You'll definitely want to measure valve/piston clearance, first, after installation of the cams before shaving the head.

Unless, of course, you want to disassemble the rest of the engine :wink:

Erion has 2 different kinds of cams for the bird. One set is a drop in replacement with different valve opening duration. The other set is the higher lift with different duration. If you go the higher lift route, like northman said, be sure to check the clearances or you might smack a piston.