CBR1100XX.org Forum

Eibach Spring on CBR900RR Shock

LongHaul

Hi Everyone.

I'm newly registered but have been following along for quite sometime.

I have recently upgraded my forks to the Race Tech springs and valves - big improvement - glad I did it. Thanks to this forum and the cbr1100xx.org site. (Where'd it go?)

For the rear I went the CBR900 route. Race Tech said they could no longer get the 16 kg spring but they could get an equivalent Eibach - special order. I said sure.

I just got it. I hold it up to my, albeit installed, stock CBR900RR spring and the new one looks like a larger ID...Hhmm...

I read the Eibach box and it shows 2.25" ID and a 6.0" free length.

Item #SESP S600225900

I got the Race Tech info I had regarding the unobtainable CBR900 replacement spring and it shows 1.97" ID (50mm) and 6.5" free length (165mm).

I call Race Tech. And after a great deal of checking and discussions at Race Tech, Brad calls me back. He says they agree it is dimensionally different but they think it will still work. He says since it is in their database, some one must have used it in the past but if it doesn't work I can return it for a refund....just try not to scratch it up too much.

So I'm curious, has anyone come aross this situation before? Should I bother trying this spring?

Any help will be appreciated.

If you are going to buy a custom spring, don't get a 16. People only used them because that was the stiffest spring for the 900RR. shock that you could get from RaceTech.

That spring is softer than the one you took off, and for best results, you probably need a spring stiffer than stock.

16 mm/kg is just under 900 lb/in. For riders in the 180+ lb. range, Penske recomends an 1100 lb/in spring.

From what I remember the stock spring is 15 kg/mm, no?

I weigh in the low 150's after a large dinner.

I've ridden someone's BB with the CBR900RR shock and 16 kg spring and was pretty satisfied, no bags, no passenger though....

But the physical size - even if I got a 950 or 1000 lb - probably be the same dimensions and would it fit?

• 3 weeks later...

This is for Pete in PA, an update on my rear end :lol:

I did install the shorter, larger ID, 16.1 kg Eibach spring, on my CBR900RR shock. It is much better than it was but I'm on the highest preload setting. The 7th ramp, I think. I wish there were at least 9 or 10.

RodeRash, seems you were right about going with a stiffer spring. Problem is that I waited 2 1/2 months for this softer spring and I'm not waiting for another week with that 15kg stock CBR900 spring. I knew it sucked but until I rode with the 16.1kg I didn't know how badly.

I keep looking at the Wilbur (sp) GB, but I gotta save up before I can justify buying. And I will. By winter I'll have Ohlins, Wilbur, Penske, something.

Until then, I'm going to remove this spring and shim between it and the top perch (I think its called) and effectively lengthen this spring. Hopefully I'll find a preload setting somewhere in the middle that I'll be happy with, then I can boost it for two-up/baggage.

We'll see. Still it's better than stock and I'm very glad I've gotten this much improvement. Thanks again to the cbr1100xx.org site and everyone at this forum.

Hi, just noticed this thread. Im using a 6 X 2.25 at 1100 lbs/inch on the f4 shock im using. (needed an adapter cause stock f4 spring is turned down on the end.) Im on the first notch of preload and i weight about 265 these days .

Herb

Better make the spacers extra thick for the extreme L-O-A-D you intend to carry on your multi state trip.

Yes, thanks, my ass will certainly be laden down.

When I do the actual shimming, I'm going to have about 1.25" worth of shims in varying thicknesses. We may have to remove and re-install the spring/shock a dozen times, trying different thicknesses, before we're through. Ought to get the removal/re-install down to a science by that time. :wink:

:? (last day of the Wilbur GB.....)