CBR1100XX.org Forum

Battery drain

TOXXIC

If I recall Paully told me something about not leaving accessory plugs "powered" up when not used. (I leave the cigarette lighter cord to my GPS plugged in under my seat. The little LED light draws so little power, and I always have it hooked to my Battery Tender. When I remember, I try to unplug it.)

The being said, I believe Paully said this practice can frag your regulator?

However, my battery is definitely toast, and I'll be looking for a battery. Just wondering how many of you religously unplug your cigarette lighter plugs?

I've had the same batter for about 4 years, and suspect it may be the OEM unit. I've found using the Battery Tender extended the useful life of my batteries. (As previously it used to seem I always bought a new battery every year).

Tim, one little red LED, which probably only draws like 3 or 4 milliamps, would take forever to discharge your battery. If the battery is 4 years old, depending on the brand of battery, it was probably at the end of it's useful life.

I've still got my factory battery in my 98.

I just replaced my factory battery in my 97 last year. It wasn't dead but I think Carlos said that it was hard on the R/R when the battery is getting old and needs alot more charging than a newer one.

I have my lighter wired into my headlight circuit therefore cutting the juice when the key is off. It works for me as that way I dont leave accessories runnin accidently :oops:

For what it's worth I got a maintenance free battery from Advance Autoparts for the XX for about $50-60.00 when it died at Ephrata last year (turned out it was the Stator that was bad). Don't remember the brand name, but it seems to be working and holding up just fine so far.