CBR1100XX.org Forum

Basement Glass Block Windows

Hobicus

Anyone ever done these before? My basement windows are crap.. I need to replace them, and was thinking of doing the glass block type.

What's involved?

I've only got 3 to do. Any idea how much it's going to cost me?

I know you can buy glass block at Home Depot and stuff.

It should be an EASY Do-it-yourself project. I'd buy a pre-made glass block window from a glass block place and install it yourself. (its just like a regular window install)

http://doityourself.com/glass/glassblock.htm

As we learn from the Habitat project featured in this segment, the installation of glass-block windows is fairly simple. Just follow these easy guidelines:

Measure the window openings from outside, not inside. A common mistake people make is to measure the windows inside for the replacements, but for glass block, you'll need to be outside. Since the windows featured here are built right into the foundation, Staggs measures the full width of the masonry opening (as if the frame were already removed).

Next, he measures the height of the opening from the top of the foundation wall up to the wood or steel support, making sure the height includes the sill thickness, since the sill will be removed.

Tip: To see if a sill is removable, tap it. If it sounds hollow, it should come off easily. If a sill is permanent, just measure the height from the top of the sill.

The next step is to measure each remaining window, since the dimensions of many basement windows are different. Once all measurements are verified and recorded, they're ready to take to a glass-block vendor. The retailer will help make sure you order the proper size -- and remember to let them know if the windows in question will require any kind of vent openings.

Once the shipment has been received, follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation, and consult the vendor / retailer with any specific questions regarding the process.

here's a glass block place a few blocks from my house:

http://www.securityglassblock.com/

http://www.securityglassblock.com/products...sandpricing.htm

Basement Windows

A large majority of Security Glass Block basement windows are installed for $130-190 per window; $25 additional for each Tafco air.techâ„¢ vent, $15 additional for each Tafco dryer vent. Prices include complete removal of old window and frame, all materials, all labor to install, as well as clean-up and removal of all associated debris. The price range listed is based on nominal window sizes from 28" to 40" wide, and from 12" to 28" high, and does not include every possible size and/or configuration.

I am almost done renovation my basement and replace all six windows. You should of posted this a few weeks ago.

I really like the ideals of putting glass blocks...

Ho wait....the girlfriend has the last word....maybe I will do this for the garage :D:D:D