CBR1100XX.org Forum

GPS antenna install

Mikey

Had to do it. 26db gain. Keep in mind it still needs to be painted black. It's function over form in this case. Normally it takes 30 seconds maybe to pick up the satellites depending on where I am. With this, it does it in less that 2. And it works in the garage when I would never have had satellite contact in there. Great for route planning without standing outside while it works out the routes.

gpsext1.JPG

gpsext2.JPG

gpsext3.JPG

A friend of mine does radio stuff. So he gave me that. You can buy them easily enough, but this one was a freebie. I've got the Streetpilot III.

gpsmount001.jpg

I have the same Garmin.. How much should the antenna cost...where to buy?

I know the SPIII takes a while to recalculate but I cant imagine such a huge change from such a small antenna.. I though some of the delay in calculation was gue to the processor speed in the SPIII..

I am quite interested in this mod.. Any further info would be greatly welcomed..

thank you come again'

Well, I guess the 3 second thing was a fluke the first time. I turned it on this afternoon and it took about 15 seconds, but it was still way faster and had 6 satellites almost full strength.

As for the price, just look up gps antenna on ebay. You'll want one with a bnc connector, not an external GPS with a usb or ps2.

Cool clock on the front of your bike. :P

I don't get it. :cry:

That antenna on the front of your bird kinda looks like one of those clock's or thermometers that have an adhesive backing so you can stick them anywhere. :wink:

I have a GPS module on my 'Bird - the reciever sits inside the tailpiece behind the seat, and is completely invisible. Has a 360 degree field of view from a horezontal mount. Works just fine tho - amazing what some double-sided tape and silicon gum can do :P