CBR1100XX.org Forum

Torque wrench choice??

nomuseo

I'm looking for some guidance on which brand / type of Torque wrench to buy. I will only be using it for odd jobs (wheel torqueing etc), general bike/car maintenance, so not planning on heavy usage like engine rebuilds etc......

As i'm not familiar with the US brands, I just wondered which ones are good, which ones to steer clear from etc. Given the use i'm likely to put it to, I think I need the 10-150 ft/lbs range, but would appreciate someone's 2 cents worth......

BTW, don't want to spend a fortune, but similarly, don't want one that will fall apart in no time.

thanks

Pete

I'm really happy with my Snap-On 3/8" drive click type torque wrench. It's about 25 years old and has never failed me. I had the calibration checked recently and it's almost perfect.

Joe's right though about convenience. It's always easy to find a Sears store and it's usually tough to find your area Snap-On dealer. The Craftsman stuff is good too.

Plus the cost issue. Snap ons are quite expensive where as the craftsman are ALOT less. You don't really compromise much quality, if your craftsman breaks or is out of calibration take it back, get a brand new one. Done.

Don't get me wrong, I like snap-on but I really don't see the point in paying that much.

Guest rockmeupto125

I have a Snap-on also.....and its served me well......but you wouldn't find me buying another one simply because I no longer have the need to pay for that level of quality.

I bought a Husky from home depot years ago. 1/2" drive clicker type and it has served me well. It was the same as the Craftsman, but at the time it was cheaper with the same warranty. I use mine for wheel lugs and other small jobs.

Guest Jetpilot5

Whatever brand you decide on, go with a click type, not a beam type. The click type is so much easier to use it's worth the extra money. I've got Craftsman and they've worked fine for me.

Whatever brand you decide on, go with a click type, not a beam type.  The click type is so much easier to use it's worth the extra money.

Easier to use, yes, but the beam type is more accurate, and never requires calibration.

I own only Snap-On, but have them calibrated yearly.

Don't trust a cheap click-type torque wrench unless you've paid to have its accuracy checked, IMO.

And you probably won't find a single wrench that will adequately cover the ranges you desire. I have four torque wrenches, and am looking to add a couple more.

I have two craftsman digitork (clicker type) torque wrenches one is 5-80 ft/lbs the other is 80-250 ft/lbs. I'm pleased with both of them. You can get new ones from ebay much cheaper than retail - just my $0.02

Guest Jetpilot5
Whatever brand you decide on, go with a click type, not a beam type.  The click type is so much easier to use it's worth the extra money.

Easier to use, yes, but the beam type is more accurate, and never requires calibration.

I own only Snap-On, but have them calibrated yearly.

Don't trust a cheap click-type torque wrench unless you've paid to have its accuracy checked, IMO.

Yup, I've heard the beam types are more accurate too. But I have to wonder how accurate they are when you're trying to stand on your head to read it.

nothing wrong with craftsman, but if you have some time to wait you might want to hold out for a snap-on or matco from ebay. better quality and can sometimes be had for about the same price as craftsman. higher resale value too if you ever want to get rid of it.