CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rejet? or not?

urloozn

Hello boyos! I've been out for a while and now I'm back with a brand new project: a 2001 400EX four wheeler that I got for $400! Of course, for that price it needs a little work and therein lies the question. This bike comes with a 38mm carb. It also comes with a bad oil ring, so I'm boring it. The question is, if I bore it .040 over, it goes from a bore of 85mm to 86.014mm. Will I need to rejet the carb to get max benefits? Will it be too lean in stock condition? The exhaust on it now is stock but has the baffles removed. I have a complete stock muffler coming because I don't like the way it sounds right now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

And a big Howdy to ya Porter! I've been crazy busy latelly (home 6 days in the last two months!) but I'm back now (sort of.) I'm on nights and I can goof off on the computer for a while.

P.S.: I just got Nik to send me the pic of him peeing on the Harley sign. My boss rides an Electraglide and I'm gonna put that pic as my desktop background! Gotta love the board!

Hey Kenny, I think you need to bring it up to my house and leave it with me while you go back offshore. I'll test ride it and give you my personal recomendations. I promise to take very good care of it for you. You know how good my XX looks :grin: On that note you can bring your XX too and I'll make sure that there is no cob webs or dirt dobber houses growing on it. Again I promise to take extra special care of it for you :twisted:

You know, it's amazing how many people keep making that very same offer!

How ya doing Mr. T? I hope the lovelly Mrs. T is doing fine as well? Tell her 'Hi!' for me when you read this. Oh, and check out my latest post in the Pub.

On my 400EX I put 3- 2" holes in the air box and cut some of the crap out of the exhaust. This was on a stock bore machine. I ran a 170 main, 42 pilot and raised the needle one notch. I also removed the choke. It ran great!! I eventually put a WB slip on pipe but it didn't make as much difference as the jetting did.

BTW I used stock Honda jets not the dyno jet kit......much cheaper.

On my 400EX I put 3- 2" holes in the air box and cut some of the crap out of the exhaust. This was on a stock bore machine. I ran a 170 main, 42 pilot and raised the needle one notch. I also removed the choke. It ran great!! I eventually put a WB slip on pipe but it didn't make as much difference as the jetting did.

BTW I used stock Honda jets not the dyno jet kit......much cheaper.

Buddy of mine did this also to his. But he put on a full big gun system, did the holes in the airbox, forget what size jets he used. That thing was wide open after that.