CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain, Sprockets and Motion Pro tool - where did I go wrong?

jimmystartup

I change the chain and sprockets but seem to have a tight spot on the rivet link. The instructions that came with the tool are not very clear...I think I may have over-mushroomed the rivets.

Can anyone give me some guidance on using this tool?

I've riveted several chains now for buddies and myself and never had it get too tight.

When you put the sideplate on is where it probably got too tight. Only squeeze it on till it matches the plate on either side, no more.

I'm trying to think what you can do now. You might have to get another rivet link and do it again. I can't see what you can do to loosen it up now without destroying it.

Was trying to remember when G2 and I did our chains last summer, Pete is correct, have to be careful not to press side plate on too far. Should be the same as plates on either side. If you have peened the pins aleady, prolly have to cut the master link out and get a new one.

I used to laugh at the schleps that would trash stuff on the weekends then bring it to our store to be repaired, then bitch and moan how much it cost.

Reason I quit working in the industry? Stealerships indeed. Especially the Honda dealer in Jonesboro GA. Dopeheads, liars and thieves.

http://www.quattro123.com/Chain.htm

Seems I forgot to update a photo or two.

When you line up the chain tool, you must be dead on in a straight line.

I turned and turned until it got real hard, and turned somemore until it gave, (yielded) and then turned a little more while watching it to make sure it didn't crack or flatten more than the pictures..............

HTH

-Suf Daddy

Do you have a Honda service manual and calipers?

When squeezing on the side plate, the stick out length of the pins is .045 - .061 (for DID chain)

After riveting,the diameter of the riveted head for a DID chain is .217 - .228

Follow the above specs and it should go flawlessly.