CBR1100XX.org Forum

Lowering the Bird

FloridaSilverBird

One of the bikes I was recently looking at--one that was located here in Tampa and which I saw in person and also test-rode was lowered. I know there is a special aftermarket shorter link that you can use to lower the bird, but this guy just adjusted the shock quite a bit. Said it was a little rough over bumps but other than that, no problem. Is merely adjusting the shock a good thing? I would think not, but im not positive. My first bird was not lowered and it was difficult to push around under my own power because I bearly had much grasp of the ground. However when I was on his bird I could back up into a driveway without significant strain, which I liked a lot.

Whats the best thing to do here? I believe the disadvantage of the aftermarket short link is that you decrease clearance. Im not sure but I don't think this would happen on a bird lowered by adjusting the shock because you still would have the same minimum clearance--even though the ride would be a little more rough.

Thanks,

-Chris

Guest rockmeupto125

No matter what method you use to lower the height of the motorcycle relative to the wheel, you will decrease the clearance. There are different ways to do so, such as a different length link, cutting the spring, lowering the spring perch such as the one that you saw, or putting on a shorter shock. The only way to lower the bike and maintain the tire to motorcycle clearance would be to put on shorter wheels.....and the cornering clearance would still suffer.

Like Joe said, anytime you lower a bike, you decrease your ground clearance. The only problem I have with dropping the spring preload on the rear shock is that it makes your sag totally wrong and won't handle the way a properly lowered bike should. If you were to put a passenger on the rear with the spring preload adjusted all the way out, the rear would probably rub the inner fender on minor bumps. If you want to lower a bike, pony up and get a link. That way you can still have the spring adjusted properly and it won't adversely affect the handling characteristics of the bike. On the front, lower the forks in the tubes an inch or so, but watch out for the lower fork legs. If you lower the front too much in the tripples, the lowers will come in contact with the lower tripple clamp. I have another front fork spring spacer to really bump up preload on the forks when my bike is lowered to prevent this from happening. I also use a front strap to lower the front when drag racing. I use a link on the rear that is totally adjustable, not the two hole design. Works better because you can put the height right where you want it, not at some predetermined height. Mine also allows me to actually raise the rear up higher than stock for better handling when not straight lining it.

Like Joe said, anytime you lower a bike, you decrease your ground clearance. The only problem I have with dropping the spring preload on the rear shock is that it makes your sag totally wrong and won't handle the way a properly lowered bike should. If you were to put a passenger on the rear with the spring preload adjusted all the way out, the rear would probably rub the inner fender on minor bumps. If you want to lower a bike, pony up and get a link. That way you can still have the spring adjusted properly and it won't adversely affect the handling characteristics of the bike. On the front, lower the forks in the tubes an inch or so, but watch out for the lower fork legs. If you lower the front too much in the tripples, the lowers will come in contact with the lower tripple clamp. I have another front fork spring spacer to really bump up preload on the forks when my bike is lowered to prevent this from happening. I also use a front strap to lower the front when drag racing. I use a link on the rear that is totally adjustable, not the two hole design. Works better because you can put the height right where you want it, not at some predetermined height. Mine also allows me to actually raise the rear up higher than stock for better handling when not straight lining it.

I guess your right, thanks. That link sounds good, where did you get it and for how much?

http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog...&showprevnext=1

It's through Schnitz racing for $124.95. Speedlink is the brand. The pic don't do it justice. You have to press your bearings out of your stock link and install them in this unit. The adjusting nuts take a 15/16" wrench so that tells you how beefy this thing really is. I am totally satisfied with mine.