CBR1100XX.org Forum

vfr v gilles

scott s.

Guest rockmeupto125

Don't have either, but that doesn't stop me from commenting. Obviously, the choice of which is better needs to be considered from a standpoint of your needs. If adjustability is your need, the Gilles would be better. If simply a readjustment of control position is needed, the VFR bars might be better for you. Its a decision you'll have to make. Asking some more specific questions might get the answers you need, however.

I'll ask you one thing......have you tried raising your stock bars first?

if you lower your bike with the fork tubes, are your bars higher in relation to the bike?

In relation to the bike, yes.

In relation to the seat, yes, but minimally.

Much better effect by raising them on the tubes, anyway.

Guest rockmeupto125
if you lower your bike with the fork tubes, are your bars higher in relation to the bike?

If you drop the headstock (triple clamps) on the fork tubes, yes. The bike drops and the bars stay the same place.

Pete....my front end is dropped a bit, but not overmuch. I have 1.05 springs in the front, and have no problem with grounding the fairing unless I have two people on.

I just raised my bars 1/2" and turned them back so they just clear the tank. Much better and FREE!!! My only questions are I had to remove the safety clips and the tabs don't lock into the triple clamp. Is this really something to be concerned about or is it just another bit of over engineering.

Guest rockmeupto125

Personally, I say its overengineering. And I've seen bars raised well above the fork tubes and still tear the bar off the clamp rather than twist the clamp under uhmm......severe stress. :shock:

:) Scott S.

You can raise the 'bird bars by 28mm if you use a set of spacers from Blackbirdspares.co.uk These spacers come with lugs and detents machined into them so they lock in place over the extended fork tops which are also supplied. Bit pricey at £ 75.00 or around $120 plus postage but I find they work fine.

PS You do not have to lengthen any cables or hoses to fit these.

Brian1100xx

My bars are raised up and the "lock" doens't come close to being in the tripples. I dropped my bike and the clip-on stayed in the same place despite rash on the bar end and the front brake lever. Overengineered to the max.