CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork Mod threads?

MTXX

I know fork mods have been discussed here, but I'm having a hard time finding the threads. I have my forks off to replace seals & am thinking about having them worked over. Any thoughts on who does good work and how effective was the modification? I'm open to any and all comments.

Thanks, Cless

Any thoughts on who does good work and how effective was the modification? I'm open to any and all comments.

Riders in the San Francisco Bay Area swear by Lindemann Enginneering. I have not used them personally, but

the local AFM racers won't take their forks anywhere else. YMMV, of course, and they are not cheap.

http://www.le-suspension.com/

Installed my own Race-Tech springs and Gold Valves. It was a snap and I got it all right the first time. Took the better part of an afternoon. Saved tons on labor :wink:

Lindemann is often spoke of very highly but my experience has been different in all teh bikes I've ridden wiht their work. I have found their set-up to be WAY too harsh for any street riding, only set up for track use. On the street the forks won't move allowing the front wheel to stay planted, this is fine at very high speeds on smooth surfaces but you won't find that on streets. I would stay away unless you're tracking the bike solely. More often taht not I've found Lindemann to be the choice of a lot of squids who knew little about set up but lots about dropping names...

I like my racetech valves .. it took me a couple tryes to get it the way i like it . There is at least 2 slightly different setups for a bleed hole in the

stock set up . I dont think the racetech instructions took this into account.

If i ever get a another bike, i may try a revalve on my own before buying the ractech valves.

Herb.

Thanks for the replies. I checked out Race Tech and thought about going the Gold Valve route and doing it myself, but decided I didn't need that much done. My forks have never let me down, but just want less friction on top. After talking w/ Race Tech techs I ordered inner fork bushings

( outer bushings are obsolete to Race Tech ) and I went w/ thier fork oil. It's twice the price of Silkolene, but the tech sold me on it. If anyone is interested in how it feels when I'm done I'll leave a thread.

Thanks Again, MTXX

It is Race Tech's US 1 Ultra Slick = 2.5 - 5 w. I asked him about that because I was going to use Silkolene 7.5. The tech said US 1 is the oil to use w/ the XX no matter what your weight.

This is thier address for the XX parts list:

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/english/S...angname=english

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone that may be interested. I pulled my forks and replaced OEM inner bushing and fork oil w/ Race Tech components. I wanted to use thier outer bushing too, but they weren't selling enough of them so they quit produceing them.

The tech said the bushings would take a little while to work in so I'm hoping for more improvement.

The results: It is an improvement over stock setup. The front end is more complient and soaks up the sharp bumps much better. It makes the rear end feel more harsh now. I may play w/ the preload on the shock, but I don't want it too soft. Overall the front end works better than stock, it was worth the expense and time.

I also put on the Buell footpegs. I had to modify them a little. The casting was too wide to slip into the XX footpeg bracket, but it went on w/o too much work. I stayed w/ the stock pin and did not enlarge the bracket in case I put the stock pegs back on, which I don't think I will. I really like the position the Buell pegs. It is much easier to left the legs to the pegs to start w/, but the riding position is better all around. But the setup is not perfect. I lowered the shift lever one spline, but the side stand tab was in the way. I switched it back and forth and finally decided to lower the shift lever a remove the tab. I really like the left side now. Everything fits and feels good. The right side is not perfect. I lowered the brake lever as far as I could w/o really modifying it and it's still a little high. It really needs to go down another 1/4" - 1/2", but I'll see if I get used to it. Overall though the Buell pegs are nice. I thought I would miss the stock rubberized footpeg, but I don't even notice it. The XX is so smooth.

I would give some pics if my connection wasn't so slow. My ISP is supposed to have cable to me this summer.

I hope this helps somebody. Ride Safe!

For anyone that may be interested. I pulled my forks and replaced OEM inner bushing and fork oil w/ Race Tech components. I wanted to use thier outer bushing too, but they weren't selling enough of them so they quit produceing them.

The tech said the bushings would take a little while to work in so I'm hoping for more improvement.

The results: It is an improvement over stock setup. The front end is more complient and soaks up the sharp bumps much better. It makes the rear end feel more harsh now. I may play w/ the preload on the shock, but I don't want it too soft. Overall the front end works better than stock, it was worth the expense and time.

I also put on the Buell footpegs. I had to modify them a little. The casting was too wide to slip into the XX footpeg bracket, but it went on w/o too much work. I stayed w/ the stock pin and did not enlarge the bracket in case I put the stock pegs back on, which I don't think I will. I really like the position the Buell pegs. It is much easier to left the legs to the pegs to start w/, but the riding position is better all around. But the setup is not perfect. I lowered the shift lever one spline, but the side stand tab was in the way. I switched it back and forth and finally decided to lower the shift lever a remove the tab. I really like the left side now. Everything fits and feels good. The right side is not perfect. I lowered the brake lever as far as I could w/o really modifying it and it's still a little high. It really needs to go down another 1/4" - 1/2", but I'll see if I get used to it. Overall though the Buell pegs are nice. I thought I would miss the stock rubberized footpeg, but I don't even notice it. The XX is so smooth.

I would give some pics if my connection wasn't so slow. My ISP is supposed to have cable to me this summer.

I hope this helps somebody. Ride Safe!

I let Dan Kyle re-do my forks in early spring of '03. He used Race Tech springs cuz he could get them cheap, but he retained and polished the factory Showa shim stack.

I've been neglegent replacing the fork fluid (it's been over 17K now :oops: ), so I'm about to yank the forks off next week when I install the Spiegler SS Brake Line kit, and I'll be flushing/refilling the forks with some FUCHS Silkolene RSF 10wt at that time.

I understand his forks are reworked, I was more commenting on the fact the rsf is thicker then other oils that are rated the same. If it works it works .. Right now i'm using rsf 5 , gold valves with the bleed holes racetech recommended, but the stock bleed holes plugged.

Herb