CBR1100XX.org Forum

XM Radio Mounting

blkbrdrydr

I would recommend a stem mount, but I'm too cheap and like to build things so I made a mount out of the little piece that's intended to go into a cell phone carrier and some polycarbonate, then mounted it on the front of my gas tank. I mounted the antenna on the dash, under the windscreen. The only problem with this set-up is that the receiver mount has to be removed when lifting the tank. Not a big deal for me though, since I keep plenty of 3M VHB tape around.

84a7037b.jpg

191a1240.jpg

Jason, that looks nice, but what do you do with it when the rain starts to fall?

I'm probably going to go with that MyFi dooohicky when prices come down to reality on it. Surely it'll stuff neatly into my tank bag.

Thanks for the links!

That rain cover is similar in design to mine......except mine is just a sandwich baggy held on by a rubber band. :oops:

I started to make a cover out of the formed plastic that the roady came in, but it got to be too much work and I figured that the few times I get caught in the rain, I can just sandwich bag it.

Saeng. Good product, overpriced, and overkill for mounting the Roady2. Purchased this some time back to mount a much heavier MP3 unit. If I didn't already own this mount I'd look into something more reasonably priced, but you did ask. The resevoir mount by Stemstand (to the right) would probably work quite nicely, the platform pivots, so it could be oriented better. Around $40, IIRC.

39648178.jpg

Jason- agree on the "raincover". $20 buys a lot of baggies and rubber bands :grin:

Will- do a bit of digging before laying down your $$$ on a MyiFi, from what I've heard (which is admittedly little) reception can be a problem with them.

edited because right and left are not interchangable. I meant right, really....

I installed a three way 12 volt outlet and XM antenna under my seat. I hooked the positive power to the headlight circuit so the Roady would come on with the key on only. I then just ran the cords up the front of the seat and have the Roady2 velcroed to gas cap. I wanted an install that I could easily pull the antenna and unplug the power and take it in any car. I get excellent reception even with the antenna under the seat.

normal_DSC01149.JPG

normal_DSC01152.JPG

normal_DSC01153.JPG

I picked up these noise reducing earphones at Radio Shack. Great deal at $21.99. They have great sound and block out a lot of wind noise. They also have a mute button for stoplight conversations. :cool:

normal_DSC01158.JPG

The Roady2 puts out enough sound where you dont need the volume turned up even half way to have plenty of sound. It will make those long rides in the saddle be even more fun this summer. :grin:

Will- do a bit of digging before laying down your $$$ on a MyiFi, from what I've heard (which is admittedly little) reception can be a problem with them.

Redbird I actually got to try the Myfi today in the mall, He had 3 different antenna's that come with the kit for it, one being a large pad type of antenna, the second a smaller about the size of 4 postage stamps and the 3rd a pen type w/ clip for clipping on your clothing.

I had him try the smallest one for me and the reception was very poor albeit we were in a mostly metal roof building with a number of large skylights but I still was unimpressed with it's performance, then I tried the intermediate one and it worked great no signal loss whatsoever,

I didn't bother with the large antenna kinda figured that it would't be worse the the intermediate one.

I figure the intermediate one would work well on the bird but I'm torn on mounting it either on the dash under the screen which would work well for locating in the tank bag or if I have to mount it to the tail section.

As you can tell I'm not one to tinker alot so I'm looking for the simplest way around it.

:oops:

Will,

The antenna that came with the Roady is only about 1" square with a magnetic base. I have mine under the seat attached to the bar the seat locks to and I have a full signal. I may have problems if I ever ride two up but that is not a concern as I can't get her to even sit on the bike in the garage. :???:

Will,

The antenna that came with the Roady is only about 1" square with a magnetic base. I have mine under the seat attached to the bar the seat locks to and I have a full signal. I may have problems if I ever ride two up but that is not a concern as I can't get her to even sit on the bike in the garage. :???:

No problems for me there Josh I can't take off without her trying to jump on. :lol:

Anyone who successfully mounted theirs on the dash under the screen?

I need to go back and update my post, actually.

My XM's now mounted on the mount that came with it on the triple tree. I gave up on the 3 pronged cig lighter in lieu of a single plug under the seat.

As for water... as long as I'm moving, it doesn't get wet. I left it out in the rain for a whole day when I went to Duluth last year to get my Stich... was wet enough that I could see the water INSIDE the unit... and it still worked fine. Dried out, no worries. :cool:

The Roady2 puts out enough sound where you dont need the volume turned up even half way to have plenty of sound. It will make those long rides in the saddle be even more fun this summer. :grin:

Josh are you using the R2 without a headphone amp?

If so how does the volume adjustments work? :headscratch:

Sorry for all the Q's maybe I should just :rtfm: :lol:

Josh are you using the R2 without a headphone amp?

If so how does the volume adjustments work? :headscratch:

Sorry for all the Q's maybe I should just :rtfm: :lol:

YES

YES

YES

:grin:

Roady2 set at 3-4 volume setting is plenty loud and will blast you out of the helmet on higher levels. This is based on a 30 minute test ride with speeds up to 105mph and wearing HJC CL12. No Amp needed :wink:

Edit to add: You do have to enter several menus to adjust the output volume so an inline adjuster or mute like my earphones is a must.

Is there any way to move the roady2 from bike to car or is there way too much to have to move? Anyone know if you can get an extra kit that has everyting but the unit so you can move it??

Rick,

Check out my install earlier in this post. Pop the seat on the XX, unplug the cig adapter, and go. The antenna with the Roady is magnetic and can just stick to the trucks roof or the metal bar under your XX seat. :grin:

I bought an extra antennae and cig adapter for the truck, available wherever XM accesories are sold, around $15 for the power and $30 for the antennae.

Moving the shit back and forth isn't prohibitive, but I was willing to drop the extra $45 or so to be able to do a cleaner, permanent install on both vehicles. Those wires all over the place would bug me long term, truck and bike.

Truck-

39637123.jpg

I'll have pics of the final setup on the bike later today.

I bought an extra antennae and cig adapter for the truck, available wherever XM accesories are sold, around $15 buck apiece.

Moving the shit back and forth isn't prohibitive, but I was willing to drop the extra $30 or so to be able to do a cleaner, permanent install on both vehicles. Those wires all over the place would bug me long term, truck and bike.

Where did you find them for $15 each????