CBR1100XX.org Forum

Heated Grip Problem

sk6f3

I just installed under-grip heating elements. They have a three position switch, HIGH Off and LO. I am only getting a slight amount of heat. I have power. When I select the HIGH position, power is also present of the LO side of the switch, and on the HIGH side when I select LO. Is this correct? Is the switch bad? If this is correct, the only other thing I can think of is a ground problem, both grounds are tied together under the brake lever nut. I have double checked the schematic and think is wired correctly. I have not yet installed the new grips. Any ideas?

Assuming u have heaters wired properly, get the switch out of the loop, it should be either high or low, not both. Do a temp ground and temp hot high, they should get pretty warm after 3-4 minutes (it takes a few minutes, patience). Do the same on a temp hot low. If it works as expected then the switch is the problem. I had a switch go bad on my fog lights and my XX was invaded by electrical gremlins far beyond the fog light problems.

Did u wrap clipons w electrical tape b4 applying wrapon heaters? If clipons left bare aluminum (esp. left), they act like a heat sink. Two tape layers w overlapping sprial wrapped is about right.

I did the gel ProGrips at same time as heaters, line the inner part of ProGrips w gasoline b4 slipping on over taped clipons, gas acts like a lubricant slipping 'en on and then dries acting like glue. Slicker than snot on a brass doorknob! ProGrips way nicer than oem.

Wrapons are marked for throttle/clutch side, make sure u got that right, if Symtecs, their output is tweaked accordingly. Left side should have more juice going thru it.

Make sure u wired the red/white/blue wires right, the instructions a bit confusing (at least for a dumbshit like me).

If u want a throttle lock (e.g. NEP), make sure that is installed and working b4 doing heaters. Warchild has excellent instructions how to do it (they r excellent, i followed 'em to the letter and it went on perfectly 1st time, thanks Warchild!).

If u screwed up, it's not a major financial crisis, try it again ...

:roll: Don't ask how i know these details ...

Thanks Bruce! I ran a ground directly to my battery this morning and now they work as advertised. I took your advice about wraping the clutch side clip-on with electrical tape. Seems all is well now. I look forward to riding this afternoon as we are forcasted to hit 40 today! Bad for sleds but good for the XX. Steve