CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire compatability

demon

When I bought my 99XX, the dealer threw on a new back tire and threw in two helmets. It has a Dunlop D-220 on the back and a Dunlop D-205 on the front. The front is about wore out and cupped out pretty bad. I don't do a lot of flat road riding and am wondering if a Dunlop D-208 or a Michelin Pilot HPX would be OK to pair up with the 220 on the back until the back wears out. I am looking for more traction in the corners and on acceleration as the 220 spins up pretty easy and the cupped out 205 doesn't really inspire confidence at any decent lean angles. I have noticed a lot of people run Avons here. Everyone happy with them and do you think switching tire brands front/rear will affect handling? :?:

Although it isn't great for handling, a more sticky front is better than a more sticky rear.

Might not want to run the HPX or 208, though, unless you want to change tires A LOT! :shock:

I've run the Avons for 2 seasons now, and won't switch unless someone can prove that there is something better out there that lasts as long as these do. I like to run hard, and the Avons will only slide if you really try, or if they're cold. Once there's a bit of heat in them, it's pretty difficult to get any spin/slip from the rear.

My front tire has 6k on it now, and no cupping at all. Should be good for another rear tire before it needs to be replaced.

I'd either go with another 220 on the front, or sell the rear (providing it's any good), and buy a matched set of something better.

Thanks for the info. This is the first bike I have owned with sport touring tires, and I just might not be used to the weight and handling properties of the XX yet. I have only had the bird for about 4 months and am a former GSXR 750 owner(please don't think bad of me :oops: ). The 220 has about 800 miles on it and is in great shape. I will probably go with a 220 on the front, I don't like to mismatch tires. Just wondering if anyone has any cupping problems with the 220's on the front? The cupped 205's seem to push in corners when riding aggressively even though I have shimmed the shock 6mm. When riding 2 up, moderate lean angles are almost scary. When I get on the front brake pretty hard, the front tire sounds like a dirtbike tire :shock: but it doesn't vibrate much.

Thanks again for the info.

Donnie

Thanks for the info. This is the first bike I have owned with sport touring tires, and I just might not be used to the weight and handling properties of the XX yet. I have only had the bird for about 4 months and am a former GSXR 750 owner(please don't think bad of me :oops: ).

Nothing wrong with a GSXR750 -- I used to own one, too. But don't expect the 'Bird to handle like the Gixxer, although I'm still impressed with it's handling for its size.

I have a D220 on the back and a 205 on the front, and sometimes the bike complains a little bit when I'm hard in a corner. It's usually because I screwed up the entry, but from what I've learned on this site, these will be the last set of Dunlops I have on this bike.

I "almost" always match my front and rear tires (the 205 isn't that much different than the 220), but guys I ride with mix brands/compounds all the time and they've never had any problems. Like Northman said, the consensus seems to be that if you're going to have one tire stickier than the other, make it the front.

Cheers.

I think I am going to order an Avon front tire. When the rear wears out, I'll match the front. From what I've seen on this site, evertone loves the Avon 45/46 tires. Think I'll give them a try. Thanks for all the info.