CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front Fork Shims

TimXX

I have a question.

My bike currently has a rider sag of 45mm front and rear. How easy is it to add preload shims to the front forks? I think 25mm should make the rider sag about 20mm. What sized washers or ? need to go in there [outside and inside diameter ]?

I can then up the preload on the rear shock to match that.

I don't want to change the rear unless I change the front to the same sag.

Thanks for the help.

TimXX

I have not done this on the XX yet but it should not be different from other bikes. Support the bike somehow as to safely keep the front tire off the ground. You should then just be able to loosen your Bar Clamps and then slowly back off the Fork Caps. Be careful as they are under some spring pressure. Pull off the caps and place your Spacers in. Carefully start the thread on the Thread Caps and run them home. Tighten up your bars and your done. Should take about 10 minutes. As far as the Shim size goes unless someone here can give you the OD needed you'll need to do as above and pull the Fork Caps off. Then grab some Calipers and measure the ID of the Fork Tube (Thread Minor Dia.). Make the Shim OD about .050" smaller than your measurement. I made a couple for my Concours at work by turning some aluminum stock to the OD and length I needed.

I think the springs are 37 mm in diameter, i know the fork tube is 43 od.

So any tube around 37 mm should work. The ID is not that critical.

I have used iron pipe , some use pvc tubing, my rt springs came with

aluminum tubing. If you like i can meaure the stock spacers tonight as they are at home on the shelf, but im pretty sure 37 would do the job.